Our plans and trips to military museums
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#181: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 am
    ----
- the_shadock
no, everything was quite easy. I arrived at Cecchignola on Saturday morning at 9 AM, without having contacted anybody before. I said that I wanted to visit the museum, and was able to see everything. However, I only concentrated on Shermans because I knew that you already took good pictures of the other tanks, and because there were some photos of Sherman parts that I wanted to take for "Sherman minutia" website.

Maybe the current commander changed something (commanders rotate every two years). Have you checked inside their hangars? Most AFVs are outdoor, but many amazing softskins are inside

- the_shadock
Massimo,
The only thing is that, if you come with your car, you have to learn to drive like Italian people, or you are dead Mr. Green

If you managed to survive Rome's traffic, you should be proud Laughing

Massimo

#182: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am
    ----
well, I discussed a bit with some soldiers there, and they told me that I could climb on vehicles (even softskins), and that I could do just like I was at home. I was very surprised to hear that. Given the time I took to study their Shermans, I only had 1 hour to have a look in their hangars. I've seen the Lancia Lince and the AB 41, and also the wooden repro of the Lancia Triota.

Time was also a problem when I visited Piana Dell Orme, it took a lot of time to study their Shermans. The whole museum would require a full day to be visited, but I only had 1h30 to see everything and it was not enough.

For a visit in Rome area, I would highly recommend to visit Cechhignola, Vigna di Valle and Piana Dell Orme, these are the 3 best places that I have visited during the trip.

I was also able to go to Monte Cassino and to the US military cemetery of Sicily-Rome.

- Massimo_Foti

If you managed to survive Rome's traffic, you should be proud Laughing

Massimo

That trip helped me to realize that I drive partly like an Italian (not totally yet, lol), and my friends in France are sometimes surprised to see how I drive. Now I understand why they are.

P-O

#183: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 am
    ----
- the_shadock
well, I discussed a bit with some soldiers there, and they told me that I could climb on vehicles (even softskins), and that I could do just like I was at home. I was very surprised to hear that.

It's pretty much unpredictable what you will get whenever you visit that place...

Massimo

#184: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm
    ----
I confirm I will be in Muster later this month.
Let me know if you are looking for something special.

Just be advised that I have such a huge backlog of pictures that I have to post-process, that you may have to wait several months before seeing something from this trip.

Hope the quite winter months will give me the opportunity to work on all the pictures I took this year and still need my attention.

Massimo

#185: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:44 pm
    ----
Massimo

Could you look for a chassisnumber of the SdKfz 11 ?

Walter

#186: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm
    ----
Sure, I'll give it a try.
Same position as in SdKfz 250?

Massimo

#187: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:39 pm
    ----
Yes but it could also be on the side of the chassis near the frontwheels

Walter

#188: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I confirm I will be in Muster later this month.
Let me know if you are looking for something special.

Massimo

Could you confirm that they have a Stormartillerivagn Sav m/43 and eventually get actual photo of it?

?

#189: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 am
    ----
Could you confirm that they have a Stormartillerivagn Sav m/43 and eventually get actual photo of it?

I'll give it a try, but if it's not on public display my chances will be very limited

Massimo

#190: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am
    ----
I am back from Munster, the tank spotting season is over for me.
No Sdkfz 11 serial and no news about Sav m/43, sorry.

Main goal for next year would be Latrun, a bit complicated, due to the distance, but doable, since Easyjet covers Geneve-Tel Aviv.
Koblenz WTS is on my agenda too.

#191: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 pm
    ----
I guess I'll stay away from Israel for the time being Smile

Next family trip should be Berlin, no fancy AFV places over there.
Then Stockholm is raising at the top of the list. That would mean a trip to Arsenalen for me.

Massimo

#192: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:51 pm
    ----
there are two T-34/76s in Berlin, and the technisches museum is worth the visit, with some airplanes and WW2 missiles. I remember that we already talked about this, right?

P-O

#193: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 pm
    ----
Yes, the Plane Museum will be on my agenda, we talked about it.
I don't remember the T-34/76s. Are they monuments or inside museums?

Massimo

#194: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07 am
    ----
I checked the PDF and saw the T-34s are part of a monument in Tiergarten. I saw you have been there, could you provide the exact location on a map? The area is pretty big.

Massimo

#195: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:20 am
    ----
52°30'57.89"N 13°22'19.78"E Tiergarten T-34's

-> AFV News Discussion Board