Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:24 pm
    ----
Don,
I have the same photo (and it is the actual photo)-look closely and you will see the items that i spoke of earlier. #152 is what is at Ripley now-where the other guy is at I do not know. Many speak that it is down range at a arty impact area, but I have never seen proof of it.
A M4A3 small hatch was also pulled off the waiting area and that ended up at the Hibbing Armory.
Notice in this phot a M4A3 with DV-there are two in the State now. I wonder if this is the same one?
Also notice the M47 for the high-spped guys...
Do you have the docutamation or photos of this before it was pulled off?
Dan

#17: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm
    ----
Dan

I have some B&W photos as well as some color of the Jumbo. I also 'captured' the memos from the same site. Its been a few years, back when I started digging around for anything on the M4A3E2 and especially when trying to find any and all survivors.

However I am always looking for new information or updated info on any survivors.

Regards
Don

#18: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm
    ----
Don,
What site are you speaking of?
Drop me a line if you like at panamadan @ aol.com

Dan

#19: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 pm
    ----
Don

Take a look at this page: hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/sho...ery/page24

The OSF turret SN 12 appears here with Rolling Eyes a M4A3E2 hull recovered from a range somewhere in the US. Could this be the missing Jumbo from Ripley Confused

michel

#20: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm
    ----
nice find !!

P-O

#21: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: panamadan PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 am
    ----
I doubt it.
I just talked to my daughter who works there and she has heard of no talk of such of a recovery at Ripley. She is going to check more into it this week.
I would love to know what shape the hulk is in after being at a range-very bad I imagine.
If I hear anything, I'll let you guys know.
Dan

#22: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 am
    ----
This has been 'on my radar' for a little while. Wasn't sure where it went, now its been made public.

This wasn't from Ripley. Not sure exactly where it originated.

This confirms my belief of a second existing 'OSF' Jumbo turret, besides the 'LST Jumbo' that is now at Ft Benning.

Interesting, 'Jumbo #77' would be SN 50402 / RN 3082999. If true, its an early June 44 produced M4A3E2.

Regards
Don

#23: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am
    ----
wherever it comes from, that's one more surviving Jumbo and that is a good thing !!

P-O

#24: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: mikek92888 PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:08 am
    ----
It is interesting whatever became of all the M4A3E2's after the war. I read somewhere that some Jumbos where brought back from Europe to be overhauled for the planned invasion of Japan, with some being converted to T33 flamethrowers, but besides the one(s) at the Minnesota National Guard whatever happen to them? were they put in storage? did other Guard units have some as well but have never been photographed/documented?

#25: Re: Another Sherman Jumbo is being restored Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am
    ----
I've heard that as well. If you look in front of the cupola at Ripley's Jumbo you can see a square weld bead that is the same size as the .50 cal mount-that leads me to believe that there was a mount there during it's overseas service.
Dan

-> AFV News Discussion Board