Interior picture needed, please. M60A3.
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Interior picture needed, please. M60A3. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:32 am
    ----
Mark,

Power Pack Blower Motor is part of the STAB system. Located under the feet of the Gunner in an A3. Process was to turn the STAB PWR on, wait up to 15 seconds and then turn on STAB PWR. The blowers kept the unit cool.

Don,

That nifty little box was for the M85. First came out on A3's and very late model A1 RISE Passives. Was retrofitted to CEV's too when upgraded to RISE/Passive standards. Kept the TC from firing all the ammo. Had a switch inside the ammo box where the last round pushed against it. When it was pulled out it interrupted the firing circuit to the solenoid. TC then could just link in another belt without having to feed it to the weapon. Two single rounds were stowed in clips just behind the stowage box that were used to connect a new belt. Override allowed the TC to fire the entire belt. Loading a new belt could be a PIA , especially if you had to stay buttoned up.

#17: Re: Interior picture needed, please. M60A3. Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Loading a new belt could be a PIA , especially if you had to stay buttoned up.

Hi,

Loading anything into the M85 was a PITA, buttoned up or not! And it is certainly optimistic to presume that the M85 could even fire an entire belt of ammo without misfeeding, misfiring, or just plain breaking.

I don't recall having those on our A3s, so I'm wondering if there was another clip for the spray bottle of CLP required to keep the gun functioning (and thereby continuing the stream of CLP dripping down the gunner's back...)?

Chuck

#18: Re: Interior picture needed, please. M60A3. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:47 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
- Joe_D

Loading a new belt could be a PIA , especially if you had to stay buttoned up.

Hi,

Loading anything into the M85 was a PITA, buttoned up or not! And it is certainly optimistic to presume that the M85 could even fire an entire belt of ammo without misfeeding, misfiring, or just plain breaking.

Chuck

Amen. YMMV, but the M-85 was one of the great scourges of modern weaponry, only exceeded in it's awfulness by the M73/M219. Laughing

#19: Re: Interior picture needed, please. M60A3. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:54 am
    ----
There ya'll go bashing a favorite weapon of mine Laughing .

Chuck said:
thereby continuing the stream of CLP dripping down the gunner's back...

Especially after coming up from down range and the TC had to max elevate to clear the base of the tower. All that CLP/ Break Free that accumulated in the bottom of the cradle would pour out over the range finder and onto the Gunners back.

Here is a diagram of the M85 ammo box with the last round override switch installed. The highlighted area shows one of the two clips to stow single .50 cal rounds.

Stowage Box

I never had problems with the M85 firing blanks or live ammo. On high rate she'd empty that box very quick. Biggest issue was not keeping the same weapon with the tank. If the flex chute was aligned to the weapon properly many feeding problems would go away. Other issues were armorers not really understanding what determined a serviceable part. During past discussions with Doug we figured most of the problems with the weapon were resolved near the end of it's life. Unfortunately places like Knox you never were issued the same weapon whenever you drew them. That's the School House for you. MATES sites were the same. You get what's available and "Serviceable". I will admit the weapon was finicky, but with a little extra TLC and patience, she would sing. BTW, I also like working on old MG's, might explain a few things.

-> AFV News Discussion Board