Richardson Motor Pool Update
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:40 pm
    ----
I just returned from spending most of the day in RMP. I'll try to get a good update, but many things have changed, so bear with me.

First of all, The M32 & M74 ARVs were supposed to go directly to Ft Lee / APG are inroute to Ft Benning.

Monday there will be a load up:
M981
M4A3(76) - SN 61909
M4A1 Grizzley (aka Cindy)
M5 Stuart (aka Denise)
Pzkw Mk III Ausf J(SN 61118)

Additional load ups are on Wednesday. I'll post some of the photos I took, later this afternoon.

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:18 pm
    ----
All are currently staged for the Monday Load up:

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
    ----
An additional note:

Althought no longer at Ft Knox, this is a very recent photo of the M4A3(76) that was stationed beside the Post Flag Pole on Brooks Field, Ft Knox.

This tank was formerly known as Thunderbolt VII before leaving Ft Knox.

It has been repainted to replicate a Korean War era paint scheme and is displayed at Ft Benning Ga.

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 pm
    ----
Just in time for Tasca's new 'E8 Korean War: www.tasca-modellismo.c...e8-kw.html

Dan

#5: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 pm
    ----
Don,
Do you have any idea where that is at Benning? From the "WARNING Restricted Area" sign perhaps its a gate?

Neil

#6: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:16 am
    ----
No Clue.

I have never been to (& WILL NEVER GO TO...) Ft Benning.

The photo was forwarded to me as simply being on Ft Benning. Its identity was confirmed as being the fromer TB VII that was at Brooks Field for several decades.

Although this tank was a WWII Combat Veteran, which has been verified, I believe it may have been a FT Knox training vehicle before becoming a 'salute gun'.

The paint scheme is abit too much for my 'taste', with the 'SEE ME !! SHOOT ME !!' tendency. IMHO

Regards
Don

#7: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:20 am
    ----
Well Today more departures

More to follow
Regards
Don

#8: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:26 am
    ----

Friday 15 April is the next convoy. Scheduled for departure that day is StuG III, Jagdpanzer IV, and Panzer IV alongs with some half tracks & wheeled vehicles

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 am
    ----
I'm currently building that upgunned/uparmored PZ III F-one of the few museum tanks that doesn't seem to have it's interior painted. I hope that Benning realizes what a one off that tank is!
Dan

#10: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm
    ----
Thanks for the update, Don - I'll be back continuing my Fort Knox write up very soon (just got a couple of business trips to get out of the way).

#11: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm
    ----
15 April 2011 Update:

Todays departures bound for Ft Benning were:

Jagdpanzer IV
Pzkw IV
StuG III (SN 452065)
M5 Light

Regards
Don

#12: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 am
    ----
- panamadan
I'm currently building that upgunned/uparmored PZ III F-one of the few museum tanks that doesn't seem to have it's interior painted. I hope that Benning realizes what a one off that tank is!
Dan

I hope they do, too, and don't repaint the turret interior, like the Patton Museum had done to the Tiger II. I know that tank was repainted several times at APG, but I never heard that the repainting included the interior. I saw the turret on a turret stand at Fort Knox in 1992, and the interior paint and markings sure looked like the original then.

I did that Pzkw III in 1:35 once, complete with interior, based on visits to the old Patton Museum when you could get inside that tank and take pics to your heart's desire.

Thanks for the updates, Don! I try to drive past Richardson every day, just to see what is sitting out to go. More "goodbyes" to old friends.

#13: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 am
    ----
- Dontos
No Clue.

I have never been to (& WILL NEVER GO TO...) Ft Benning.

The photo was forwarded to me as simply being on Ft Benning. Its identity was confirmed as being the fromer TB VII that was at Brooks Field for several decades.

Don

+1. I may be accused of being petty and spiteful...I will acknowledge being resentful, but there is no way that I will visit vehicles at Benning that have enjoyed the care and loving stewardship by dedicated and experienced volunteers at Ft. Knox and that for the most part, I've seen there...in some cases more than once. Vehicles for which a home had been provided by many donations and the exertions of a dedicated museum staff who deserve not only the credit but the right to retain the continued opportunity to study and restore these vehicles. Thankfully, over the years, we as a group have accumulated an extensive library of private photographs and memories that will make followup visits elsewhere un-neccessary unless someone just wants to. I just won't be one of them.

#14: Re: Richardson Motor Pool Update Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 pm
    ----
For those interested I have a hundred or so pics of the Fort Knox collection posted over here ... not for 56K users, does anyone still have 56K? www.cdsg.org/forums/vi....php?t=141

-> AFV News Discussion Board