How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm
    ----
Hello,

I'm currently writing a little page on the "Sherman minutia" website, which aim is to explain how to read casting markings on a Sherman tank. Of course, all the information may not be exact, but "someone" could help me to get the most accurate information about all this, so that it will be shared with the community :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/casting_markings/casting_markings.html

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Hello,

I'm currently writing a little page on the "Sherman minutia" website, which aim is to explain how to read casting markings on a Sherman tank. Of course, all the information may not be exact, but "someone" could help me to get the most accurate information about all this, so that it will be shared with the community :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/casting_markings/casting_markings.html

Pierre-Olivier

P-O,
Once you and "someone(s)" get that project finished, feel yourself encouraged to upload it into the AFV "downloads" section here at C-C.

#3: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 pm
    ----
I believe Kurt Laughlin is pretty much the recognized expert on casting marks. His article on Foundry Marks at the Sherman Register Website is one of the best I know of and I think he has done others.

web.inter.nl.net/users...oundry.htm

#4: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I believe Kurt Laughlin is pretty much the recognized expert on casting marks. His article on Foundry Marks at the Sherman Register Website is one of the best I know of and I think he has done others.

web.inter.nl.net/users...oundry.htm

Bob,

I already asked Kurt and here is his reply :

"Yes, that is pretty much how I understand it. I am certain about the foundry trademark and the part number. Some castings have two serial numbers; on those parts I'm not sure which one is the serial and which is the heat number. That may also apply here, if perhaps there is another number stamped in rather than cast in. The group you have labelled as the mold may be something like that. The molds were broken each time to remove the cast part, so I would say it is the pattern number. The LO is a mystery. It is on many types of parts. I think it signifies a particular type of processing or chemical composition of the armor."

So, the doubt remain about some parts of the markings..

P-O

#5: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 am
    ----
Hi P-O:

The page with pictures is nice. I will send you some comments directly. Unfortunately, I doubt that there are many people who know the meaning of those marks are still alive, let alone reading this group! They may be mysteries forever.

KL

#6: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
Hi P-O:

The page with pictures is nice. I will send you some comments directly. Unfortunately, I doubt that there are many people who know the meaning of those marks are still alive, let alone reading this group! They may be mysteries forever.

KL

Don't be so sure, someone has to have documented this stuff somewhere. Historians have discovered even older, more obscure stuff, this can't be too hard!

#7: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
Hi P-O:

KL

Oh, I don't know...there are a lot of really OLD guys hanging around here. Or so I've heard!

Chuck

#8: Re: How to read casting markings on a Sherman tank Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 am
    ----
hello,

I updated the page thanks to Kurt Laughlin remarks.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board