M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:26 pm
    ----
I was just watching a show on 'Current TV' called 'Man Vs Earth'.

This particular show caught my attention since it showed a static M60A3 that is used by the State of Washington for avalanche control in the Stevens Pass area.

It appears to be in operational condition and the interior looked to be in excellent condition.

I know there was a discussion of this in the past, but this was a recent show which further confirms a location.

Regards
Don

#2: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:40 pm
    ----
Yep, we talked about that one. Now that's an avalanche control party worth being on!

#3: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:30 pm
    ----
Photo: www.flickr.com/photos/...431539180/

#4: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

"The M60 tank is used for avalanche control. The film crew found it interesting that a device built to kill is now used as a tool to keep people safe"

The point that it essentially served in that capacity when it was in military service seems to have escaped the film crew. What do they think defends the country, universal good will and kind thoughts? Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 pm
    ----
They are also using a howitzer.

#6: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
They are also using a howitzer.

And other places, recoilless rifles, thrown bombs (often from helicopters). This really ticks me off, ski patrols with free ski passes and ordnance. I knew I made a bad career career move, but only now do I appreciate how bad. Mr. Green

#7: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 pm
    ----
Its funny, but when I lived in Washington, during the mid 90s, I made several trips thru Stevens Pass & never knew about this.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to stick with what I do best.....Whatever that might be!

Regards
Don

#8: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Its funny, but when I lived in Washington, during the mid 90s, I made several trips thru Stevens Pass & never knew about this.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to stick with what I do best.....Whatever that might be!

Regards
Don

I have two folders in my Images/Armor files that says we've found it, in case you're still wondering. Wink

#9: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:57 am
    ----
Can anyone help with a more exact location of this tank?

From what I remember of searching google maps, Stevens Pass is a pretty big area...

Neil

#10: Re: M60A3 (Stevens Pass Washington) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:23 am
    ----
I believe I actually have the article (Some where) of when the Army turned these tanks (There are two) over to them, was in the mid 90's.

-> AFV News Discussion Board