Hey who wants Meatloaf?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 am
    ----
Mrs. Stoopy makes absolutely KILLER spicy meatloaf which I absolutely love but I feel guilty asking her to make it because I ask all the time and it's also kinda greasy compared to stuff I grill on the weekends, and I'm trying to eat a little healthier these days....so I figured why not kill two little unsuspecting birds with one stone and make a grilled meatloaf Fattie (also known as an Armadillo Egg or Pork Bomb)?

If you haven't made or had one, a "Fattie" usually consists of ground sausage wrapped around some kind of filling and then wrapped in an outer layer of *bacon* to form a horribly sinful and delicious ovoid / cylindrical object that gets grilled for a couple of hours and then sliced & served.

We usually have some mashed potatoes with her meatloaf so I decided to use that for the filling, which I made first and then stuffed into a "Fattie Tube" (which is really just a homemade utensil created from PVC tubing) and then stuck it in the freezer to let it form up and harden so's to make wrapping the meatloaf around it easier.

Then a couple hours later I had the ol'lady mix me up some of her meatloaf.....

Which I then rolled out flat into a square on some saran wrap, and then pushed an appropriate length of the garlic & cheddar mashed potato mix that I made out of the tube, and cut to length:

Then it's just a matter rolling it all up around the filler, smoothing out the seams and closing the ends:

Sprinkle it with some rub, wrap tightly in the saran wrap and throw it in the fridge for a couple of hours to let it set up a little...

Before yanking it out of the fridge, make a bacon weave using about 16 slices of bacon on top of some aluminum foil:

Throw the cold and now-slightly-stiffened meatloaf/mashed tater cylinder on it....

Roll it up and use toothpicks on the ends to close it up:

Then have your grill set up to cook over indirect heat with a drain pain directly underneath, It needs to go for about 2 hours...

After 1 hour I like to brush on some sauce...it's not uncommon to sometimes have some of the filler start to ooze out between the bacon, these "blowouts" are usually harmless, and I got a little mashed potato oozing out the front of this one...fortunately it settled down and stopped shortly afterwards....

After about 2 hours the whole sordid affair is about ready to get yanked off the grille...

Like any larger grilled item, let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes at least....it'll smell the house up REAL GOOD....don't forget to yank the toothpicks out, if you're impatient you can chew on the toothpicks, it's like licking the spoon when you make a cake...

Slice it up and if all worked according to Hoyle, the filler will be right where you wanted it, as long as it didn't drain or ooze out in a blowout...

The GREAT thing about this is, in all the time on the grille all (or nearly all) of the fat drains and renders out of the meat, so it is very very lean. Serve it up however ya like but don't forget some roughage!

BuuuuuuuUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

(actually I cut up the 1/3 that was left over after dinner and they'll make some great Fattie sammiches for work this week)

#2: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 pm
    ----
now that looks tasty!thanks for posting it Stoopy.Think I'll go see what the wife is making for supper

#3: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:52 am
    ----
Thank you for the instructional pics Stoopy, I'll have something to throw on the barbie for the weekend

Yummies Razz Wink

fled
Cool

#4: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:24 pm
    ----
Needs more decadence.

www.nombrecallate.com/...pe-of.html

I mention only in passing that I'm sorta' in driving distance and have two vehicles with a substantial beer capacity. Wink

#5: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:04 am
    ----
Aaahhh, I'm glad the scent of freshly grilled meat spurred some activity here in the ol' pigsty...glad ya's liked it and I hope you try your own for sure!

- JG300-Ascout
Needs more decadence.

www.nombrecallate.com/...pe-of.html

I mention only in passing that I'm sorta' in driving distance and have two vehicles with a substantial beer capacity. Wink

Hmmmmmm ya don't say now??!!! Well I tell ya what partner....I think I can whip somethin' up that ya might like should either of those vehicles also be in running order, bein' as I usually use pork sausage like they do....and although I haven't done the second layer of bacon inside, I'm not above using any leftover bacon strips to wrap around tater tots to provide the kind of decadent hors'douvre that discrimatin' Saus demand. Smile

And ya'know....forgive me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you had the one vehicle....so ya didn't happen to go and get ya second kind of machine, now didya? Pray tell?

Hmmmm? Cool

#6: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Hmmmmmm ya don't say now??!!! Well I tell ya what partner....I think I can whip somethin' up that ya might like should either of those vehicles also be in running order, bein' as I usually use pork sausage like they do....and although I haven't done the second layer of bacon inside, I'm not above using any leftover bacon strips to wrap around tater tots to provide the kind of decadent hors'douvre that discrimatin' Saus demand. Smile

And ya'know....forgive me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you had the one vehicle....so ya didn't happen to go and get ya second kind of machine, now didya? Pray tell?

Hmmmm? Cool

Well, I've gone down in the world. I still have the Pathy, but that's my E-ticket ride for special occasions or just showin' off (or long road trips) I just made a new addition to the fleet....90,000 miles, 1999, but looks like it's 4 years old. So now, I'm officially....

1. John Deere tractor-check
2. John Deere hat -check
3. Pickem'um truck -check

...a redneck!

The B2500 (a Ford Ranger rebadged as a Mazda) is for mulch runs, trips to the likker store, an' sech.

Just let's me know what's good for you. I've got a neighbor that owes me dog sittin' duties if I can't bring a big, friendly (some say overly friendly) German Shepherd along.

#7: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 am
    ----
Su-WEEEET! Redneck style indeed, with more emphasis on sty'le in your case!

Although I was hopin' to hear you got something maybe of the two-wheel variety, but all things in good time...and a pickemup truck is a high priority Smile

Next two weekends are tied up, Mothers' Day is an all-weekend affair here and next weekend I'm going to Denver and driving back in a new-to-us vehicle. After that I believe there's some good possibilities, I'll email ya as soon as I know for sure!

#8: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:20 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Su-WEEEET!
Although I was hopin' to hear you got something maybe of the two-wheel variety, but all things in good time...and a pickemup truck is a high priority Smile

Tempting, but I'm also looking at a room addition to Casa de Ascout and I need to see what the bidders leave me for "discretionary funding".

No rush, get back from your duties and we'll see what's good....

#9: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am
    ----
such a celebration of canabalism, tsk, tsk

#10: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 am
    ----
- piney
such a celebration of canabalism, tsk, tsk

I'm a selfconfessed cannibal, the redder the steak the better Razz Wink

fled
Cool

#11: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 pm
    ----
- Ascout
I need to see what the bidders leave me for "discretionary funding".
ROFLMAO...been there done that...lol

Stoopy, the meatloaf looks great and if you don't mind, I may *ahem* "Borrow" the recipe.. Wink

#12: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: WeDGe PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:36 am
    ----
oh my god ,, i,m gona have to try this ..how hot do you cook it ..with my front and back burner on my grill on and the middle off it sits at about 300 to 350 would that be good for the 2 hour cook time..funny my wife is Indian so she dosent eat meat but has been making me meatloaf although bland just meat mixed with bread grumbs ..i keep telling her lees bread more unions and stuff but well you no she says make it myself then ...with this i just might have to lol, its just a shame she haha will never get to taste it..loltks WeDGe

#13: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 am
    ----
- WeDGe
she says make it myself

ROFL... I learned to never criticize the cook unless you want the job...lol

#14: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 am
    ----
me thinks we just need a price including delivery, if Omaha steaks can do surely someone from the pigsty can too Stoopy, eh?

Soooo, how much to zip 49085?

slow

#15: Re: Hey who wants Meatloaf? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:26 am
    ----
Awww geez Slowy, I don't think I could charge you for shipping a bunch of cold rancid bacon to your house....which since I'm in zip 20155, is likely what it might be once it showed up on your doorstep. But, when is your birthday, again? Wink

Now, if you want to make your own I'd encourage you to try it, it's kinda fun and definitely quite satisfying. So...

WeDGe, nice to meet you and here's what you guys need to do...go down to the hardware store and get ya some various small PVC pipe pieces to make a "Fattie Piston" as described about 1/3 down this page here:
fattiepistons.blogspot.com/

(and I ask you, what can be cooler than cooking with stuff you slapped together out of the hardware section at Lowe's?? )

They also show you how to make and cook a Fattie (to answer your question WeDGe, 250 degrees or so for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, or if you're like me, forgo the thermometer and use your instinct, cook it away from a good hot pile of coals for 2-3 hours, turning it around once about halfway through, until it stops singing and is nicely "done" and the bacon is sufficiently crusty).

But I'd recommend going to this website here, which is a grilling/smoking blog written by an old coworker and very good friend of mine who has since moved to Indiana (well nobody's perfect) and following his stepo....
crossroadsofamerica.bl...tties.html

...he definitely has specific and refined tastes when it comes to his rubs and soforth, I say use what you like for your first ones. And as you'll see the real magic is coming up with the fillings, and hence why using an appropriate "Fattie Tube" is so important. My first Fattie attempt had a mix of shredded mozzarella and pepperoni chunks, kinda of a "pizza fattie". But people are making Breakfast Fatties with scrambled egg fillings, heck you know WeDGe I think maybe you could make a vegetarian Fattie for your wife, just fill it with broccoli and Zucchini and Eggplant or whatever, let her eat the filling and you eat the outside....whatever works to keep the peace in your teepee, brother.... Wink

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum