Dam Busters
-> Officer's Club

#1: Dam Busters Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:06 am
    ----
Reenactment on UK TV

#2: Re: Dam Busters Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:58 am
    ----
Watched that.
Very enjoyable.
After the war my Father became an engineer and worked with Barnes Wallace at Brooklands, which I now live about five miles away from and has become a massive aircraft and motor museum.

#3: Re: Dam Busters Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:57 am
    ----
Cool Thanks

#4: Re: Dam Busters Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:16 pm
    ----
Didn't they sort of re-enact this recently with a Lancaster? I was sure I saw pics of that in the last few years...

ahh...they did it "locally"..

www.freerepublic.com/f...7043/posts

#5: Re: Dam Busters Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:22 pm
    ----
Yah, Slow's was where they tried to re-design the whole bomb, and mission from scratch, building a custom dam in Canada to target.

#6: Re: Dam Busters Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:11 pm
    ----
- Shades
Yah, Slow's was where they tried to re-design the whole bomb, and mission from scratch, building a custom dam in Canada to target.

Why not just use a dam that's already there, I mean it's Canada, right?

#7: Re: Dam Busters Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:22 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
- Shades

Why not just use a dam that's already there, I mean it's Canada, right?

Yeah, but any Tim Horton's, Molson breweries or similar critical facilities downstream would nix that plan. Wink

#8: Re: Dam Busters Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:00 am
    ----
Good point. lol.
It wasn't a functioning dam, just a structure that was put together in a blind of an existing lake.
It had some water behind it which was incorporated into the design to show the pressure reaction.
I missed the very end of it so didn't see if they were eventually allowed actual explosives in the device.

-> Officer's Club