New USA AFV Register Update Posted!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:15 am
    ----
Okay everyone, V3.1 of the USA AFV Register is now available at 216.176.92.62/afv/USA_AFVs.pdf.

First off, many thanks to Michel van Loon for helping me rebuild the last draft I had before my hard-drive crashed last year. Of course many countless others have helped with info.

The big changes in this new version are the following:

1) The Museum moves

Armor, Ordnance, ADA, 1st AD, etc. Compared to 3 years ago, the majority of these collections are no longer on display. Unfortunately, the Patton Museum / Fort Knox no longer rank as a major AFV collection - most of its vehicles are now in storage at Fort Benning. Many Ordnance Museum vehicles have similarly moved to storage at Fort Lee, but a rump remainder (soon to become the "Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum") are still at APG and it still ranks as a major collection. Some changes at Fort Hood as well, but mostly just changing the names of the 4th ID Museum to 3rd ACR Museum. Unfortunately the ADA collection is now in storage at Fort Sill, but "new" AFVs have arrived at Fort Bliss for the future 1st AD Museum from Germany.

2) I have added coordinates, specifically in cities and even National Guard armories. However, I have avoided providing coordinates for AFV locations on active duty military bases (though I have provided cross-streets).

3) I have included links for photo galleries of each vehicle whenever possible. Frankly, some of these may already be broken - a given with a "living document" like this. In general I have tried to provide galleries instead of single pics.

4) The Serial Number disclaimer on page 4. 'Nuff said.

Thanks all! I'll try to push out new versions more quickly in the future - frankly lots of "life events" (changing jobs, including some higher work demands, and getting married) intervened over the past few years.

Neil

#2: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 am
    ----
Congratulations - a big milestone achieved!

#3: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:00 am
    ----
Excellent stuff Neil !!

(So when do 'we' start the next version,....I have a couple of corrections/additions to the update)

Regards
Don

#4: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am
    ----
Let me guess you figured with the world ending today you didn't want to take a chance that St Peter is a closet Curmudgeon ad the first thing he would ask you is 'Where is the Update Neil?'
So is the next big project to convert it to EPub format so we can carry it around easily on our Nooks?

#5: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:47 pm
    ----
Go ahead and send or post 'em Don. I might be able to push a V3.11 or something like that out after a week or so...

Bob, your Nook or whatever can't read a pdf?

#6: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: Smashy PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm
    ----
I've seen ebooks of the various surviving AFV listings on JED and Jim will do an epub version for your specific reader as well IIRC.

#7: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm
    ----
I have done this before but they are no longer listed on the site. The conversions from pdfs were a bit untidy. I could probably do better with the original text files. But if anyone wants a version of them for their ebook just leave a message on the site explaining what model of e-book they have.

Iphone/ipad users will be delighted to hear I have been working on a version for those devices that will enable you to add your own images to any particular entry.

#8: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:44 pm
    ----
The Nook will handle PDFs but there are sometimes issues (It has big problems with the Army Green Book PDFs for several reasons) I will download it and let you know. There are tools that will convert from PDF to Epub format but I'm told starting from RTF (Rich Text Format) produces a much better output.

#9: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 am
    ----
Great work Neil,

Been looking forward to 3.1

#10: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am
    ----
Awesome!!!

#11: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 am
    ----
Thanks Neil!

#12: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 pm
    ----
a quick update :

"MVTF Portola Valley
M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo USA ind SN 50331, RN 3082929"

the correct RN for this particular tank is 3082928.

Who said that I am a killjoy??? Mr. Green

P-O

#13: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 pm
    ----
other updates :

National Infantry Museum, Fort Benning Blvd near Legacy Way
M4A2(75) Sherman USA out SN 25054, RN 3033584

this is indeed an M4 Sherman (confirmed by both the SN and the rear doors and "inverted U" back plate ). The style of the protruding hoods and of the hull antenna bracket confirm this is an ALCo-build M4.

______

National Armor and Cavalry Museum, Fort Benning
M4A1E13R1-E13R2 Sherman USA std SN 5?7152; Flamethrower tank

well, from the information I have, Pressed Steel Car built 1000 M4A1 Shermans in the range 36900-37899. I would say that this tank could be SN 37152 rather than 57152.
I know an M4A1(76) with large hatches carrying the SN 38133 on a fire range in France. Just a though however..

______

FREEPORT
Private Owner
M4A3 Sherman USA std SN 1158, RN 3053673

The correct SN is 11518

P-O

#14: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 pm
    ----
VINELAND
New Jersey Army National Guard Armory, 2650 S Delsea Drive (N39 26.947 W75 2.568) 1109
M4A3(75) Sherman USA out SN 49730, RN 3082328

the correct RN is 3082327.

P-O

#15: Re: New USA AFV Register Update Posted! Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm
    ----
TOOELE
Utah Military and Armament Museum, 1232 West Hwy (West Utah Ave) 112 1554
(N40 32.350 W112 19.911)
Humber armoured car GBR std One of three Humbers in the US

I think that this vehicle is indeed a Canadian Fox Armoured Car

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board