Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:15 pm
    ----
Hello all,
So, with V3.1 of the USA AFV Register released, I am thinking of turning my attention to writing an article on the status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums post BRAC and FY11 funding issues. I first contacted AUSA's Army magazine, but they are overstocked. I have reached out to an old friend at Army Times to see if they are interested, and also just e-mailed Military History magazine.

Intent would be to get as big an audience as possible, particularly within the interested Army communities as well as possibly the political decision makers. Accordingly, while Classic Military Vehicles might be a great place, I dont think it would have enough impact over here in the states. On the opposite end, my fallback is to try to publish the article in the respective Armor, Ordnance and ADA magazines.

But I wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas on where I might try to pitch this...

Thanks!

#2: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 am
    ----
Hi Neil!

Have you checked with The Cavalry & Armor Journal, ex-Armor magazine? So much of what your are thinking about is armored related. Maybe they would be interested.

Don't know their current addess, but the the e-mail for US Cavalry and Armor Association is:

mgavula @ cavalryandarmor.com

Good luck!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 am
    ----
Roy,
As I said, the branch pups like the Armor, Ordnance & ADA magazines will be my backup. In theory I'd like a wider audience.

Although I might try to get published in those as well...

#4: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 am
    ----
Maybe "Military History" magazine ?

#5: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 am
    ----
Neil

I wish you luck.

I had tinkered with the idea of attempting to write something very similiar but I realized that I am a bit too emotionally connected to the subject and couldn't do the topic any justice.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:10 pm
    ----
A short update:

After AUSA's Army magazine, I've now been blown off by Army Times as well. Apparently they think a short few paragraphs they did on the National Museum "covers us for a while on museums."

I've also contacted Military History magazine, but havent heard anything back and cant find an actual phone number for someone to talk to...

As a result I've now contacted the Cavalry & Armor Journal, OD Magazine and ADA's publication... We'll see where this goes...

I think at least 1 or 2 will be interested, we'll see. Ultimate fall-back is one of the better known Army military history blogs.

Neil

#7: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm
    ----
Hello again all,
This is starting to become real. I've gotten a green-light from the Cavalry & Armor Journal.

I'm starting to collect my questions for Army Public Affairs/Center of Military History, the Armor & Cavalry Museum Foundation, Ordnance Corps Association, ADA Association, and Congressional staff...

Accordingly, please send me along (via PM or e-mail) any questions you would recommend. Similarly, please send along any contact details for anyone you would recommend I speak to, or if you want to offer any of your "inside" details.

Thanks

#8: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 am
    ----
Neil,

Let us know when/where it's published, for sure!

Geoff

#9: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:17 pm
    ----
FYI, Ordnance Magazine has also expressed interest. Still waiting to hear from the ADA Association - they seem to be in a bit more disarray, changing publishers or something. Seems like a bit more outsourced for them...

Expected to talk to CMH soon - will have to see what they say. Some answers may come some months down the road.

Neil

#10: Re: Article on Status of the Armor, Ordnance & ADA Museums? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:20 pm
    ----
FYI,
I am still working on this... But waiting to see how some things work out first... Publishers are primarily interested in one article, rather than one now and then one after some things in the works are resolved.

That being said, the below is the latest big move on the subject. Do a "find" for "museum" and you'll see several pages of discussion.

armed-services.senate....-14-11.pdf

I dont want to get into too many details right now, but as of now, I'm not particularly hopeful on public access anytime soon. The Army's original request, and the proposed amendment discussed in the above link, place primary and sole focus on preservation and use for soldier training. Preservation would of course be a good thing since some of these artifacts at least were exposed to the environment (may have been put under cover by now). But without any move by Congress to enable public access, it would put the onus on private fundraising for separate facilities. That could result in the collections at each post being split between public museums and Army storage/soldier training facilities. Seems like a lot of duplication to me - particularly between the public "museum" and the soldier "training facility" - but that's just my $0.02...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board