South Carolina Military Museum Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: South Carolina Military Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve posted a gallery of photos from the South Carolina Military Museum located in Columbia, SC.

It is a fabulous museum! The staff was very generous and kind and the collection of artifacts was fascinating. I’ve included a few interior photos of the vast AFV modeling collection and some exhibit photos. If you like what you see, make the effort to visit the museum.

During our first visit, one of the staff turned us on to a B-25 recovered from a local lake. I hadn’t before heard of this particular plane and we ended up with the opportunity to see and photograph it. Nice folks!

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...087_qCMBGQ

M48A1

M110A2

Some of the “Carbine” Williams collection

Enjoy!
VB

#2: Re: South Carolina Military Museum Gallery Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 pm
    ----
VB,
Glad you enjoyed it. Just a few blocks away from my favorite stadium Wink

I also did some basic M16 familiarity training at the armory there when I was in ROTC at USC. I remember seeing M110s in the motor pool as they were being retired from service.

FYI, the museum has some other vehicles in storage - but unfortunately I havent gotten a chance to see them either Sad

Neil

#3: Re: South Carolina Military Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 pm
    ----
Neil,

When we visited, I showed the curator and staff the info I received from you regarding their collection. They were astounded that anybody knew that they were doing a "M3 Half-Track Converted to M13 GMC with dual .50s."
The curator then remembered talking to "that guy who called and asked about the vehicles." You've done it! You've achieved fame as "that guy!"

Also, the curator mentioned that he was responsible for verifying the AFVs on display around the state.

If we get a chance to visit them again, I'll see about getting access to the stored stuff. Might be able to swap our verifications of display vehicles for something - seems like we have hit everywhere in SC we can!

Cheers,
PH

#4: Re: South Carolina Military Museum Gallery Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:59 pm
    ----
Yeah, I talked to him in person and then followed up with a phone call I think.

Have you also checked Fort Jackson?

#5: Re: South Carolina Military Museum Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 am
    ----
Neil,

Yes, we have visited Ft Jackson. We were there in 2010 and again in April 2011. Will post photos to the site when I can.

Both times the museum bldg was closed. In 2010 it was being refurbished so we expected it to be open for the latest visit. No such luck. Peeking in the window, it looked like nothing had changed since the year prior. I imagine the funding dried up - like everywhere! Sad

-> AFV News Discussion Board