Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:46 pm
    ----
Following my very successful and enjoyable trip around the Netherlands recently I am working on writing up the tanks I saw there. Up to now that part of PreservedTanks.com has been almost non-existent, just featuring the few tanks from my Preserved German Tanks books:

Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands

The statistics make depressing reading:

Locations: 6
Tanks: 7
Location Photos: 0
Tank Photos: 8 (mostly from Tim Royall, Hanno Spoelstra and Lesley Delsing)

so I am currently focussed on fixing this situation. I'll post my progress here, and update these numbers, as I go along.

#2: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 pm
    ----
I have started with Overloon, and yesterday updated the entry details for the Panther there, and added 26 new photos, from the recent trip and back to 1982:

UID 53: Overloon Panther Tank

#3: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 am
    ----
Trevor,

if you need some picture's, let me know

Either I already have them or can get additional photo's

Only problem will be military barracks, because civilians doen't have acces to them unless there is a museum at the same location.

Michel

#4: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 pm
    ----
Thanks, Michel, that would be great. I'll work on what I've already got, then I'd be interested in adding your photos (I've also got lots from Lesley to add). Your register was very useful in planning my trip.

#5: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:58 pm
    ----
your welcome

good to hear it was of useful.

Concerning the photo's, let me know what you need
Then I will send them to you

Michel

#6: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:15 am
    ----
Now the Overloon Sherman with 34 photos, from the recent trip and from my previous trip in 1982. I'm particularly interested in tanks with a combat history, and fortunately it is known how this one was destroyed. Tim and I were looking at the damage and noticed that you could see an exit hole when looking into the 75mm penetrations, so I took some photo's to highlight that. Also, encouraged by the work on Sherman markings by Kurt, Hanno and P.-O. I have recorded the various markings I found on it (though not all the casting numbers):

UID 1699: Overloon M4 Sherman Tank "After Hitler"

#7: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:35 pm
    ----
Did you take photo's of the inside of the hull ??

A large section of the hull floor between the engine fire wall and the transmission is gone
Only things remaining are a broken drive shaft hanging on the fire wall and some gears from the transmission.

Michel

#8: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 pm
    ----
No - I didn't see a gap for the hull, just the one for the turret.

#9: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 pm
    ----
Another interesting veteran:

UID 1700: Overloon M4A4 Sherman Crab Flail "Avalon"

#10: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 am
    ----
I've been researching the Crab today and adding more information to its entry and map - see link above. If anyone has anything else to add please let me know.

#11: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
If anyone has anything else to add please let me know.

Photo's of the multibank engine of this tank located in the musuem basement Mr. Green

Michel

#12: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 pm
    ----
Sure - yes please!

#13: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:46 pm
    ----
Trevor

could you check your inbox

Michel

#14: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 pm
    ----
A couple more:

Unique ID 1701: Overloon Cromwell

Unique ID 1702: Overloon Churchill "Jackal"

The statistics are improving:

Locations: 6
Tanks: 7 -> 11
Location Photos: 0
Tank Photos: 8 -> 145

#15: Re: Preserved Tanks in the Netherlands Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 am
    ----
Walter has sent me a bunch of photos of the Panther during and since restoration so I have added those (thanks Walter!). I particularly like the view into the turret. The 'time machine' view is now working well:

UID 53: Overloon Panther Tank

-> AFV News Discussion Board