Gliding
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Gliding Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 pm
    ----
Finally got around to getting out to the local gliding club with my youngest son,we both went for introductory flights and had a blast.We were towed to 3000 feet then the fun started,my flight lasted for 20 minutes and I was really surprised at how responsive it was and how little I had to move the stick to get a larg response from the glider.when I first took control I got the nose moving and the more I tried to correct it the worse it got till my pilot started to laugh and said "let go of the stick" and the plane immediatly started to fly nice again.My son,who is an up and comming rc pilot got to fly in a 1941 glider that was used as a trainer for ww2. his pilot (who was also the owner) liked his enthusiasum so much that his flight lasted 40 minutes and was told that he would take him up in the future for only the price of the tow.the club is called the SOSA glider club and I am hoping to be seeing more of these guys (and girls) in the future,forgot my camra so the pics are from my phone,I hope I get it right.

#2: Re: Gliding Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 am
    ----
Flying Sailplanes are alot of fun. I took lessons when I was 17. We had tow planes and a winch tow. On the winch they would get up up to about 800 ft and we would realease make a turn for the land fill where we could always catch a thermal, and before you know it we were soaring with eagles.................well actually they were buzzards, but it was still cool.
YOur son got a real treat Mr. Green

#3: Re: Gliding Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 am
    ----
Holy cripes, that is beyond cool - how did you find out about them?

#4: Re: Gliding Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 pm
    ----
That is a great story and I see a future pilot in your family!!

#5: Re: Gliding Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:11 pm
    ----
Thanks guys,1bullet that must have been a lot of fun,did you get as far as to solo? I can imagine that it would take a lot of time and a pile of money .My better half found the club and she thought it might help with the trauma of turning 50 really soon(know what I'm saying Stoopy?) The club is called "SOSA" Gliding club, this is the web site www.sosaglidingclub.com

#6: Re: Gliding Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:26 am
    ----
- JG300-Dan736
.My better half found the club and she thought it might help with the trauma of turning 50 really soon(know what I'm saying Stoopy?)

Yes indeedy I do, bud. Having recently passed the milestone too, I have to say the trauma is overrated, but if those around you want to believe otherwise and buy you extra goodies to "soften the blow" I say let's not stand in their way!

Congrats on making it over the hill....!

#7: Re: Gliding Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:08 am
    ----
Very cool. Glad to see your son showing an interest in it. I tried to get my son to go up in helicopter with me and he'd have none of it.

I know they have glider flights about 30 miles east of me towards Barstow...might have to check it out.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum