DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:08 pm
    ----
...Google Earth has been updated. Lots of empty pads at the Patton Museum, some split trail artillery piece is where the T-28 used to be. Potts MP has a lot of desert tan vehicles in it and Richardson has a three rows of historic vehicles inside the compound (gone by now, I guess?).

But, Don, what did you do with the old PX/PIO office across from the "Armor Board"? Whole building is missing and now all parking lot. Another tank hit it harder this time? Sad

#2: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:05 am
    ----
It's an M115 8" towed piece. The office (which housed the post's newpaper The Turret at the time) was torn down several years ago to increase parking behind building 1109 and 1110 (which housed DPTMS/G3 and the Garrison Command respectively). The new CG moved most everything down to the Maude Complex, including the GC. 1109 is mainly a catch all building for many different on post organizations now.

Parking used to be a bear around there, especially when a Basic graduation was going on, but now, there is more parking than people with the Armor Center gone.

Those camouflage vehicles are probably the Brigade's stuff. An IBCT takes up a lot of room. There's also the 19th Engineer Battalion on post as well as a few other MTOE units like the 3rd ESC (formerly COSCOM).

#3: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:34 pm
    ----
- Sabot
It's an M115 8" towed piece. The office (which housed the post's newpaper The Turret at the time) was torn down several years ago to increase parking behind building 1109 and 1110 (which housed DPTMS/G3 and the Garrison Command respectively). The new CG moved most everything down to the Maude Complex, including the GC. 1109 is mainly a catch all building for many different on post organizations now.

Parking used to be a bear around there, especially when a Basic graduation was going on, but now, there is more parking than people with the Armor Center gone.

Those camouflage vehicles are probably the Brigade's stuff. An IBCT takes up a lot of room. There's also the 19th Engineer Battalion on post as well as a few other MTOE units like the 3rd ESC (formerly COSCOM).

Fortunately, that building was still there for my '06 visit. It had been a branch PX and dining room and still bore the scars from it's encounter with an M60A1 that took place when I worked there at the Armor Board. If you walk down the street to the fire department on the corner (formerly the MP station), you will see where the end wall on the old Seventh Ave (now Spearhead Div, I think) suffered the same fate and was repaired. There's a reason that brick pattern doesn't match. Wink

I had lived briefly in 1109 (or 1110, whichever is the longer of the two and directly across from Heard) when I was at the Board. Then a couple of buddies and I shocked command by getting an off-post apartment (still there) over on Wilma Dr. in Radcliff. We'd been told to keep a bunk and locker maintained in the building until they got a bunch of TDY engineers in for a project and quietly asked up to get our stuff out as they needed our bunk space. We each had, like, one uniform and one pair of boots in our lockers. The army "evicted" us! Laughing

#4: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:27 pm
    ----
1109 is the longer building. The shorter building is 1110 and sits directly across from the fire station. I remember eating at the mess hall on the first floor of 1109, an area which most recently housed the Office of the Chief of Armor (OCOA). Not sure what's in there now. ACAP is next to it.

The attic of 1109 still has those old rifle/pistol ranges complete with sand pit and angled boiler plate. We'd do PT on really cold days up there; mainly those circuit drill stations where you'd do push ups at one station, sit ups at another, etc. and rotate every minute or so.

We've got it narrowed down between when you took the photograph in 2006 and when I moved my office from 1109 to 1478 when I took over the mobilization section for the post in September 2008. I used to use the new parking lot after they tore down the building since my office was on the 3rd floor almost directly above where the building had been.

#5: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 pm
    ----
- Sabot
1109 is the longer building. The shorter building is 1110 and sits directly across from the fire station. I remember eating at the mess hall on the first floor of 1109, an area which most recently housed the Office of the Chief of Armor (OCOA). Not sure what's in there now. ACAP is next to it.

The attic of 1109 still has those old rifle/pistol ranges complete with sand pit and angled boiler plate. We'd do PT on really cold days up there; mainly those circuit drill stations where you'd do push ups at one station, sit ups at another, etc. and rotate every minute or so.

We've got it narrowed down between when you took the photograph in 2006 and when I moved my office from 1109 to 1478 when I took over the mobilization section for the post in September 2008. I used to use the new parking lot after they tore down the building since my office was on the 3rd floor almost directly above where the building had been.

I remember those pistol ranges and have used them, purely recreationally with a couple of officers and NCO's that also liked to shoot.

It was Memorial Day weekend of '06. Actually, I came up 1109 looking for you and Jody Harmon, but as it was a holiday, it was dead city up there.

We had a fine mess hall there on the first floor, and I seldom missed a breakfast there. The CO's and unit office were there on the west side and the day room was the far west space closest to the Fire Station. I remember we were all watching the Munich Olympics attack from there.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:35 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Sabot

Fortunately, that building was still there for my '06 visit. It had been a branch PX and dining room and still bore the scars from it's encounter with an M60A1 that took place when I worked there at the Armor Board. If you walk down the street to the fire department on the corner (formerly the MP station), you will see where the end wall on the old Seventh Ave (now Spearhead Div, I think) suffered the same fate and was repaired. There's a reason that brick pattern doesn't match. Wink

I had lived briefly in 1109 (or 1110, whichever is the longer of the two and directly across from Heard) when I was at the Board. Then a couple of buddies and I shocked command by getting an off-post apartment (still there) over on Wilma Dr. in Radcliff. We'd been told to keep a bunk and locker maintained in the building until they got a bunch of TDY engineers in for a project and quietly asked up to get our stuff out as they needed our bunk space. We each had, like, one uniform and one pair of boots in our lockers. The army "evicted" us! Laughing

Aw, come on, you can't just post the pictures and not include the full story! Laughing

#7: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:52 pm
    ----
- ShermanWasRight

Aw, come on, you can't just post the pictures and not include the full story! Laughing

Short version:

Private Snuffy feels himself to have been insensitively treated by post MP's. Seeking their remorse, he sets about stealing an unlocked M60A1 with the intention of driving it through the MP barracks during the wee hours to catch them in their bunks. However, he has mistaken the MP station for the MP barracks. He has compounded his mistake by misidentifying the Branch PX/dining room for the MP station. Driving into the PX dining room, he realizes he is in the wrong building, backs out and heads the hundred yards up the street to the MP station and whacks that. Having failed at his primary mission (and now high on post radar), he wanders aimlessly around the west side of the post looking for the barracks. He is eventually convinced to stop and surrender himself.

As I understand it, he got six years hard time at Leavenworth.

#8: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:09 pm
    ----
Hmm I'm a bit late into this long thread but to summarise Dontos got drunk and wrecked Fort Knox with a tank ?

#9: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Hmm I'm a bit late into this long thread but to summarise Dontos got drunk and wrecked Fort Knox with a tank ?

Well, he straightened up after he was released. Laughing

#10: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 pm
    ----
HUH !?

I DID WHAT????

For the record I was in Florida during that time.....!!

Also for the record,..... My VERY first 'visit' to Ft Knox was 15 Jan - 3 May 1985!!!

Regards
Don

#11: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:26 pm
    ----
- Dontos
HUH !?

I DID WHAT????

For the record I was in Florida during that time.....!!

Also for the record,..... My VERY first 'visit' to Ft Knox was 15 Jan - 3 May 1985!!!

Regards
Don

Oh, sure...it's the old "Hey, I was only twelve when that happened, you must be looking for someone else" story. Wink

#12: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Smashy PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 pm
    ----
Methinks he doth protest too much

#13: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 pm
    ----
....AND ALSO FOR THE RECORD....

I've never been to Leavenworth,......although I did reside at Ft Sill for a few years.

Honestly, IT WASN'T ME !!! Cool

Regards
Don

#14: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 am
    ----
I did my command and staff college at Leavenworth back in the 90s. It's a rreally nice place. Even the disciplinary barracks have their uses. They do a car detailing service that will make you car look better than it did when new. They also ran the barber shop and most of the lawn care around post.

Now the federal prison down the street was no joke. We took a VIP tour through there one day after class. They consider it the "Harvard" of federal prisons. You have to earn the right to be sent there. That place is not where I would ever even want to visit again. Apparently, this part of Kansas is home to several federal and state prison systems. There are probably more prisoner residents in the area than law abiding citizens.

#15: Re: DONTOS has been up to no good, apparently... Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
...Google Earth has been updated. Lots of empty pads at the Patton Museum, some split trail artillery piece is where the T-28 used to be. Potts MP has a lot of desert tan vehicles in it and Richardson has a three rows of historic vehicles inside the compound (gone by now, I guess?).

I don't "guess" this is classified. Shocked

Those vehicles in Potts belong mostly to the 4th "Saber" Cavalry Brigade (a First Army training unit), some to the 8-229th Avn (USAR), and some to the USMC training contingent. I think these latter USMC vehicles are gone now, with USAARMS.

-> AFV News Discussion Board