Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm
    ----
Hello,

could somebody tell me what are the fittings circled in red? What were they used for?

thanks

P-O

#2: Re: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 pm
    ----
They are 'bump pads' found on late production versions. As far as I know they were intended for use towing/pushing engineer equipment - a project that never seems to have quite come to fruition...

#3: Re: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 am
    ----
These - as well as those seen on the front - were factory-applied mounting pads for T6 floatation devices. Oddly, they weren't both added at the same time in the factory.

KL

#4: Re: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 am
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
These - as well as those seen on the front - were factory-applied mounting pads for T6 floatation devices. Oddly, they weren't both added at the same time in the factory.

KL

You mean the T7/M20 flotation device?

I wasn't aware that the rear pads were introduced at a later date and it could explain why they were added to the list of approved equipments later on.

Any idea when the rear pads were added to production versions Kurt?

#5: Re: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am
    ----
Yeah, that's it - the "T6 type" device. The dates are in Hunnicutt; I forget whether the front or rear was installed first, but they weren't simultaneous.

KL

#6: Re: Mysterious fittings on an M24 Chaffee Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 pm
    ----
Hunnicut? Ah I remember them when ordinary people could afford them not just millionaires..

-> AFV News Discussion Board