Photographs posted
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Photographs posted Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:21 pm
    ----
Happy New Year to everyone!
Just posted a few copies of older photos from Aberdeen 1981 in my gallery, open to all members. Also, have posted 10 photos from an early AFV News member who I met many years ago, the late Armin Sohns. He wrote many articles in the very early years of AFV News. The 10 shots are from Belgrade, and I hope the vehicles are still there. Looking forward to a great 2012.
Rick Eshleman

#2: Re: Photographs posted Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:43 pm
    ----
Hi Rick! Hi Folks!

Thank you very much for doing all the work to post those photos!
I am allways on the look out for photos of the XM800 T scout vehicles.
I am very surpised to see photos of a PzKw I Ausf F (VK18.01). If I understand Panzer Tracts No. 1-2 correctly, only 30 of those where completed and issued to combat units.

Well done Sir!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Photographs posted Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 am
    ----
Hi Roy!
Your welcome, glad you enjoyed the photos. If I come across any more XM800 tracked or wheeled photos, I'll be sure to post them. I found my old video tapes from the late 1980's and early 1990's today! There is footage of the old warehouse with rare items such as the ASU-57, A German 3/4 track captured in North Africa, Pershing's Locomobile, Jeeps, Kubelwagon, and more. I also got some footage inside the Tiger I before it was shipped out, along with some vehicle walk around views. I also have tapes of the Armed Forces Day shows of that era, when they had grand stand bleachers at the "Main Front" and some years there were many hundreds of people attending the shows.
I did a little online research, and it appears the Belgrade Military Museum, where those photos are from (Pzkpfw I Ausf F), has repainted them and added some more. Do a "google" search on it and you can find some more current and much clearer photos. Like the PanzerRakete 3-3 photos I posted, not the best quality, but they were prior to me getting a 35mm camera. Take care,
Rick

#4: Re: Photographs posted Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm
    ----
Hi Rick! Hi Folks!

- Rick_Eshleman

Hi Roy!
I did a little online research, and it appears the Belgrade Military Museum, where those photos are from (Pzkpfw I Ausf F), has repainted them and added some more. Do a "google" search on it and you can find some more current and much clearer photos.

Thanks for the update Rick!

- Rick_Eshleman

Like the PanzerRakete 3-3 photos I posted, not the best quality, but they were prior to me getting a 35mm camera.

YES! Thank you, I have always like that little FOVs.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Photographs posted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 pm
    ----
Cool stuff!!

I especially like the M60A2 plow photos. You don't see that too often.

'Joe D' will be droolin'....

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Photographs posted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 pm
    ----
oh, oh.....

Video of the Tiger 1 ?? I'd love to see that. I've been looking for images of that Tiger 1, video would really be awesome.

Regards

Don

#7: Re: Photographs posted Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 pm
    ----
Don,
Glad you liked the M60A2 w/dozer blade & attachments. Also, I'm working through my old family videos (VHS to DVD conversion) and have got some good results. I plan on doing same with all of my old APG VHS tapes, but have just started back to work after a short vacation, so it may take some time!
The Tiger I was shipped to Germany soon after this video was made, and eventually wound up in England. It's not "professional" quality, but shows inside, top, and a walkaround (with Dr. Atwaters' permission) and nominal narration by me.
Does anybody know where the ASU-57, German Semi-track, etc (all in the warehouse) went to? Just curious, as I long ago lost contact with the Staff there.
Take care,
Rick

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Photographs posted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:34 am
    ----
- Dontos
oh, oh.....

Video of the Tiger 1 ?? I'd love to see that. I've been looking for images of that Tiger 1, video would really be awesome.

Regards

Don

I just saw some video of the Aberdeen Tiger on Military Channel this weekend. When they did the '10 Best Tanks' show some of the Tiger footage was old army footage of that tank when it was being tested

By the way I actually pretty much agreed with their choices. It was actually one of the fairest of the ratings type shows I've seen

#9: Re: Photographs posted Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:07 am
    ----
Bob

I did 'find' an old video from Aberdeen 'Back In the Day'

www.archive.org/detail...rc.2569519

At 22:29 the interviewer walks thru the Museum. In the back ground are an interesting StuG as well as a 'cutaway' panther. What ever happened to it?

I'm always looking for more 'old' references of APG / Ft Knox former collection pieces.

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Photographs posted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 am
    ----
The cutaway Panther is still in the collection. The cut open panels were covered with sheet metal (like many other vehicles in the collection) it is one of the two that were on my regular tours (One of the give aways was the Mantlet chin). I saw many of the vehicles I know, some featured some just in the background.

I thought the section at about 21:00 about the testing of the sabot round was interesting, especially when they talked about the fins on the 'missile'

#11: Re: Photographs posted Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
- bsmart

I thought the section at about 21:00 about the testing of the sabot round was interesting, especially when they talked about the fins on the 'missile'

Well, technically speaking, it is a missile (in the same way a thrown rock is a "missile"). It's just unguided and not rocket powered. But we know what you mean, though. Wink

Few film editors go to the trouble of doing much research.

I will say that the Discovery Channel did a LOT of research on their "underground cities" series, based on experience with tunnels, etc. and explosive effects and RPG's, but it was probably the exception to the rule. They had a lot of very detailed questions.

#12: Re: Photographs posted Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:10 am
    ----
Yea and every naval vessel is a Battleship Rolling Eyes

Actually I wasn't that upset with the use of the word. I found the section very interesting, especially the tank they were using and the way they had the turret facing back over the rear deck

-> AFV News Discussion Board