Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 am
    ----
These are in the original state capital of Indiana, in the south-eastern most corner of the state, located on the courthouse lawn:

This is a German sFH 02 L12 15 cm heavy field howitzer. The projectile is for a British 8 inch howitzer, not for the German piece.

A IMW n/A 77 mm light Minenwerfer , the German answer to the Entente tank threat. It is in superb condition, with all of the sheet metal in intact condition and complete with the rare direct fire trail piece. It's almost as nice as the one in the Museum of World War I in Kansas City.

#2: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 pm
    ----
Terry

Do you have any photos that show more detail of the sight-mount for the 15cm sFH 1902? In the photo you have posted, it looks like this example has the complete sight-mount. These are not present on most sFH "02s.

R/

Ralph

#3: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 am
    ----
Ralph, Its Corydon, Indiana and how many pics do you want? I can go Saturday morning...its only a few miles, nice pics Terry are you close to Corydon?

#4: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: lovett155Location: Falls Church/Washington DC PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm
    ----
Just a few photos to confirm that the sight-mount is complete on the 15cm sFH 1902 would be great.

R/

Ralph

#5: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm
    ----
I'm about eight hundred miles away, as the crow flies. Not a drive one undertakes lightly.

Over the past couple of years, I've been compiling relic photos and locations, just as a sort of fun project. Most of the items that I've collected are of the artillery variety, and while I do take comprehensive photos (in my style) of each, I only retain the one reference photo in the database program (Bento) in which the information is maintained.

The items in Croydon were noted many, many years ago, but only photographed recently, as digital photos at the time of my first visit. As we wander around the United States to visit relatives, I've been revisiting them again and this time doing the full photo bit (but for my reference only).

One item that I am particularly interested in revisiting is a Krupp fieldpiece planted in a stone structure outside of what looks like an old GAR hall in Hopkinsville KY (birthplace of Abraham Lincoln). From the style and age of the thing, it looks like it's a foreign sale item dating back to the Spanish American War era, but I didn't get enough information on it at the time, so I'm still wondering. Next summer, perhaps...

#6: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:53 pm
    ----
Hi Terry I show this piece at Hopkinsville, this is a Mark A, Model I made by Bethlehem is this what you saw or do we have 2 pieces there??

#7: Re: Two World War I German fieldpieces in Croyden IN Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 am
    ----
Nope, that's not the one. The one that I saw is clearly a Krupp piece (rings on the breechblock and all of that), in the 75-77 mm bore class (did not measure it as I was not properly equipped when I saw it), and (literally) set in a built-up stone plinth, without wheels or gun shield.

It was located in front of what looked like an old GAR hall, right on the square downtown, I believe on the eastern side.

One of these days, I'll get back over that way and take photos.

-> Artillery Forum