Tiger I APG 1989
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm
    ----
Hi Everyone.
I loaded some photos of the former Aberdeen Tiger I shortly before it shipped off to Europe. Includes some internal and top views. I have some other interesting photos from the Carlisle, PA MHI. These will be loaded in the near future. The stamping on the Tiger I breech is: R35 1942. I was lucky to get permission to enter it, many Thanks to Dr. Atwater. Until later, take care. Rick

www.com-central.net/in...=1&sort=na

#2: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm
    ----
Do anybody knows about it's current condition.
There is no information last several years (no photos, no rumors).

#3: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 pm
    ----
It's with Kevin Wheatcroft.
One of the tanks that there is a dispute about.

#4: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm
    ----
It's with Kevin Wheatcroft.

This is well-known information.

But what is the state of the restoration works?
What do they do with it, and do they do anything?

#5: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm
    ----
It would be nice if it were restored. The old B&W photo depicts it as it arrived at Aberdeen. 712 on the turret which we all know was cut away on this side for display. I was lucky to have had access to the vehicle prior to it being sent on loan to Germany, then of course later winding up in England. I leave it at that! Rick

#6: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am
    ----
A couple years ago I was told that it was ready to come back and actually had a shipping slot on a C-5 to Dover. Then the C-5 crashed near Dover and the entire fleet was grounded until they determined what caused the crash. Once they started flying again the flight schedules were so back logged that it got taken off the schedule. Then questions came up about paperwork and everything ground to a halt.

I haven't heard an update since then

#7: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 am
    ----
I remember the C-5 crash (luckily, no one was killed) which later was found to be pilot errors. Now of course, is the complication that would send it to Ft. Lee, instead of APG, from Dover AFB. Thanks for update.

#8: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 am
    ----
I was told that it was ready to come back

What does it means?
What was the condition of the tank?

#9: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 am
    ----
As far as anyone knows, nothing's been done to it.

#10: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm
    ----
last time I saw it at Kevins, it was under a tarp in his yard, looked in very good condition.

#11: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 pm
    ----
What is "very good condition"?
Maybe photos?

#12: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 pm
    ----
I was told it was complete. I have not seen any pictures. Everything I've passed on is directly from museum staff as best as I can remember the conversation.

#13: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:41 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I think I remember a picture that was posted here or maybe on Missing Lynx.

It showed the front left side of a Tiger I with the side of the upper hull cut away. There was a mannequin in a German uniform setting in the driver's position. If I remember right, the poster claimed that was the APG Tiger and it was almost ready to return.

Other than that, I is the last thing I remember.
Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm
    ----
Roy is correct.
The APG Tiger was displayed for a number of years ( 1992-2000?)at Auto-Teknik in Sinsheim then moved to Munsterlager for "restoration". There was a crew of mannequins inside the vehicle that was visible through the cut away panels.

How it went from there to Wheatcrofts in about 2001 is the interesting part of the story...

#15: Re: Tiger I APG 1989 Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 pm
    ----
Here it is at Munster

-> AFV News Discussion Board