Need some help with a M551 turret!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Need some help with a M551 turret! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I have been inside this old gal twice. I have permission from the Museum Staff to turn the turret around.
The problem is I can not get it to move.
The travel lock was rusted in the locked position. I removed the four bolts that hold the assemble on the turret edge.
I tried to use the gunner's hand crank, but I still could not get the turret to move.

Short of using a large crane to lift the turret, does anyone have any suggestions that I might try to get this turret moving?

Mark the Tumble Weed! There is a Sherdian at Ft. Bliss that NEEDs your help!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Need some help with a M551 turret! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am
    ----
Maybe Don or I can put in touch with Vic Pitts, he might have some ideas (he served on the pilot project at the Board and is restoring a nice one at the Charlotte Aviation Museum).

Check your PM's.

#3: Re: Need some help with a M551 turret! Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:45 am
    ----
Ahhhh, maybe find the manual and do the checklist?

#4: Re: Need some help with a M551 turret! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 pm
    ----
Hi Maple! Hi Folks!

- Maple_Leaf_Eh

Ahhhh, maybe find the manual and do the checklist?

Thanks to Doug and Vic, I how have a complete set of TMs for the M-551A1 and M-551 NTC vehicles and an understanding of what the problem maybe.

Frozen turrets on Sheridans that have not been moved in many years seams to be a common problem. I have a plan of action to apply brut force on Tuesday to break the rust lose and get the turret started moving.

By the way this will be plan B sense plan A didn't help.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board