New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx
-> Hardware

#1: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 am
    ----
My original video card crashed on my Dell XPS 710 so I got a new one and upgraded the RAM. I got an Evga GeForce GT 520 2GB DDR 3 Memory Superclocked +20 on the GPU clock. I used the installation disk to load the drivers. I got my setting on FSX to 1280X768 (same as FS9) and it looks great, but the frame rates stay less that 15fps and if the secenery is heavy (KSEA) the frame rates go down to 5fps to 13fps. I'm dissapointed. Any suggestions.....

#2: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 am
    ----
Not a fan of Dell, I'm afraid Mr Bullet.
I had to learn about components and how to build my own through Dells continually failing or needing upgrade.

You might want to have a look through Stoop's Sticky guides on the FSX forum.
These have asome excellent tweak suggestions.
It's probably just one thing that's slowing the whole down.
Maybe a background Windows operation or something.

I did try looking up your GT 520 in Tom's Hardware but couldn't anything on it.

#3: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 pm
    ----
Are you running Win7 Bullet?

#4: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:08 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
Are you running Win7 Bullet?

Vista Sad

Something else i noticed......... My memory sticks are ddr2 and the vid card is ddr3. Could that cause a problem??? I bought my computer in 2007.

#5: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 am
    ----
Its the CPU, FSX needs clock speed. I researched this a bit building my last system...

In general, clock speed is more important than the number of cores

You might consider a dedicated solid state drive - they have come way down in price.

here is a site that picks best parts for fsx:

PERFORMANCE

SLOW

#6: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
Its the CPU, FSX needs clock speed. I researched this a bit building my last system...

In general, clock speed is more important than the number of cores

You might consider a dedicated solid state drive - they have come way down in price.

here is a site that picks best parts for fsx:

PERFORMANCE

SLOW

Thanks Slow. A dedicated SSD will clone my old hard drive is what I understand. Is that correct?

#7: Re: New Video Card Bad frame rates in fsx Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 am
    ----
i dont know how much of an improvement it will be, but yes, a 128g ssd and look at transfer rates. you would reinstal fsx abd all add ons to this dedicated drive. it will load slow but works well in game. keep in mind i had read the developers felt 6ghz speed on cpu would be ultimate. might (might) be some oc that high kind of doubt it. i have mine at 4.05 and it takes hits at times still.
slow

-> Hardware