Running Panthers
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Running Panthers Author: ajmac PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:15 pm
    ----
I know that the JL machine is a runner with the original Maybach V12, as is Saumur and Weald Foundation Jagdpanther. Question is are any of the other running Panthers using original Maybach V12s? I am really looking forward to the day that we get the Wheatcroft Panther Model D and Bovington Tiger I at TankFest Smile

PS. Did anyone go to the Tiger Day at Bovington? What happened?

#2: Re: Running Panthers Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:51 am
    ----
The one's at WTS in Koblenz (Panther & Jagdpanther), Flick's, Kubinka's, the Panther II is probably a runner, ditto Bov's Pather & Jagdpanther (Maybe a bit of work needed)

#3: Re: Running Panthers Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 am
    ----
- ajmac
PS. Did anyone go to the Tiger Day at Bovington? What happened?

You can see some pictures on flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/...032286625/
www.flickr.com/photos/...886851050/

Massimo

#4: Re: Running Panthers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 pm
    ----
The Panther II was operationally restored in the 1970's and made appearences annually at the Memorial Day, Patton Museum events.

It was 'parked' in the 80's and hasn't been run or even started since that time.

It was restored with a combination effort of the Panther Ausf G that was also in the collection.

The Panther II will probably never be run again, so I don't consider it to be a 'runner'. Especially since it has been moved to Ft Benning.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Running Panthers Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:32 pm
    ----
Kubinka' Panther Ausf.G has original 230P30.

#6: Re: Running Panthers Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:33 pm
    ----
Do Wheatcroft has completed at least one Panther?

#7: Re: Running Panthers Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:39 pm
    ----
Not that we know of. His early Panther A looks close to completion, but their website is updated less often than a tramp changes his socks!

#8: Re: Running Panthers Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm
    ----
- Dontos

It was 'parked' in the 80's and hasn't been run or even started since that time.
Regards
Don

So it'll take a bit more than a new set of spark plugs, a splash of petrol & a set of jump leads?

#9: Re: Running Panthers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm
    ----
I would imagine so, but you never know......

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Running Panthers Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am
    ----
If my memory serves I seem to recall that the WTS Koblenz Panther G and Jagdpanther are both fitted with modern MTU diesels, in the pattern of the Münster Panther A, or am I way off?

The Wheatcroft Panthers will all have rebuilt original Maybach engines when competed. The list of possible Panther runners (without to much work) could be made quite long, albeit hypothetical. It's, as always, an issue of funding.

#11: Re: Running Panthers Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
- Dontos

Regards
Don

So it'll take a bit more than a new set of spark plugs, a splash of petrol & a set of jump leads?

- Dontos
I would imagine so, but you never know......

Regards
Don

There was an short article at War History Online about the running periode of the Panther II.
They stopped running the vehicle because they burned all most all spare carburetors.
The burning of the carburetors was caused by back fires from the engine.

Because of this they decided to stop.
So I think it will take some more effort to get it back running.

Also this Panther II is not a real tank, it's actual an experimental vehicle made-up of mild steel.
When found it was a empty hull, with only a drivers position, a sabotaged engine and dead weight to simulate a turret.

Michel

#12: Re: Running Panthers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 am
    ----
When the Panther II was discovered & then transported to APG (initially) it was turretless.

At APG it was mounted with the turret from Panther Ausf G (FN ukn)

It then went to the Smithsonian in DC for a period of time.

When it was transferred to the Patton Museum in the early 70's, the Panther II and the Panther Ausf G (FN 121455) were completely disassembled. The decision was made to operationally restore the Panther II, using parts from the Panther Ausf G, which had been at the Patton since 1949.

The restoration was done at the Boatwright Tank Maintenance Facility on Ft Knox. Once the Panther II was completed, all the remaining parts were crated and stored.

A few of the long term volunteers who crewed the Panther II when it was operational have related the fire problems which forced a safety decision to park it.

Personally I have always wondered why the Panther II was restored, since it was an incomplete prototype and not a 'combat veteran'. I felt the Ausf G we had, was far more worthy of a tank to restore since it was a fielded vehicle with a traceable history. As such, deserved to be more than a stripped out rusting hulk, that it became.

I guess it really doesn't matter now since its all gone to 'storage' at Ft Benning.

Regards
Don

#13: Re: Running Panthers Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm
    ----
Uh I dont like the sound of "storage".

What are they doing with it?

#14: Re: Running Panthers Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:17 pm
    ----
- VonForhud
Uh I dont like the sound of "storage".

What are they doing with it?

They store it Laughing

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually the reality of artifacts moved from Aberdeen and Ft Knox is so sad that it's better to try to make a joke or two Crying or Very sad

Massimo

#15: Re: Running Panthers Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:37 pm
    ----
Hi,

No, the WTS Koblenz Panther and Jagdpanther have original Maybach engines. I saw them both driving in Trier, something I will never forget!!!
Look at youtube "panther Trier" or "jagdpanther Trier" and you will understand what I mean.

The Munster Panther has a diesel engine.

Regards.
Wim.

- Rikard_Hufschmied
If my memory serves I seem to recall that the WTS Koblenz Panther G and Jagdpanther are both fitted with modern MTU diesels, in the pattern of the Münster Panther A, or am I way off?

The Wheatcroft Panthers will all have rebuilt original Maybach engines when competed. The list of possible Panther runners (without to much work) could be made quite long, albeit hypothetical. It's, as always, an issue of funding.

-> AFV News Discussion Board