what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned?
-> Guns and Other Weapons Systems Apart From Artillery

#1: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:57 pm
    ----
For me it was a Thompsen Center TCR in .223 Rem. Despite the break open action And two piece stock it would stay under 1/4 inch center to center 5 shot groups with tuned reloads all day long at the 100 bench.

#2: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm
    ----
- piney
For me it was a Thompsen Center TCR in .223 Rem. Despite the break open action And two piece stock it would stay under 1/4 inch center to center 5 shot groups with tuned reloads all day long at the 100 bench.

That's precision, not accuracy, but we'll take it as a given that you weren't six inches off the bullseye. Razz

Just funnin' ya'. Wink

#3: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm
    ----
-S-

It was my FN C1A1 when I was a young guy in the Canadian Army. I was on the rifle team for my regiment. I had the "short stock" version that was issued just to me. It was a pleasure to shoot. It had a 20 round mag and at 200 yards..I could put a small dinner plate over my shot group using iron sights. The trick was to get the gas recoil setting just right and keep it clean. (they use to rust up overnight on exercise in the field and slept with our rifles in our bivouacs)

Here is a pic from the net of what it looked like...

s305.photobucket.com/a...ter=images

Congrads on the new forum btw...!!!!

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#4: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:03 am
    ----
Congrats on the new forum, fellas!

As the jackrabbits in the So Cal High desert will attest to, my Ruger 10-22....probably because it's the only rifle I've ever owned, if you don't count my Remington 870 shotgun!

#5: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:06 pm
    ----
Unfortunately not owned by myself, but I used several years a FN-FAL which still is my favourite (especially with scope). The C7 felt like a toyrifle after that. But now the soldiers don't know better....

#6: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:28 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Unfortunately not owned by myself, but I used several years a FN-FAL which still is my favourite (especially with scope). The C7 felt like a toyrifle after that. But now the soldiers don't know better....

Lucky devil. I've always admired the type (and the caliber) but never owned or used one.

I do have a nice '85-'86 Springfield Armory M1A with all the right American parts (non-Chinese) and an authentic surplus G.I. walnut stock. Currently have the same Leupold Vari-x III scope on it I also got in '86, but may change that as I just got a new Marlin lever action that needs a scope and I might cannibilize the M1A as an excuse to upgrade. While a little short of best bolt action accuracy, the M1A is scary accurate for an autoloader out to high triple digit ranges. It has never malfunctioned, though I've had a slam fire or two, which is always attention getting at a public range. Laughing

#7: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:08 pm
    ----
-S-

Is that your M1A there with the backpack Ascout..?

#8: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:19 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

Is that your M1A there with the backpack Ascout..?

It is.

Bought in 1986 new for $675 and included a National Match barrel and NM front sight. Dealer had two of them and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy both. Rolling Eyes Has the TRW bolt and NRA "excellent" rated G.I. surplus walnut stock.

#9: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 pm
    ----
-S-

Nice looking rifle..always wanted to fire one. They are expensive as hell up here. That is one big as* mounting screw for the scope mount.

#10: Re: what was the most acurate rifle you ever owned? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:49 pm
    ----
- 401RCAF_Hammer
-S-

Nice looking rifle..always wanted to fire one. They are expensive as hell up here. That is one big as* mounting screw for the scope mount.

They ain't cheap here either, anymore. This one has at least tripled in value since I bought it new.

Indeed it is. It is the assessment of M1/M14 guru Lee Emerson that this is a first generation ART IV (Adjustable Ranging Telescope) mount (personal communication after questions arose regarding his published FAQ on the subject). You can just make out the A.R.T. stamp in the picture.

www.imageseek.com/m1a/...070225.pdf

This type of one-piece mount has two primary points of contact...the area of the screw plate and a 2nd perpendicular notched locating groove to facilitate reproducible replacement of the mount if it needs to be removed for some reason. There are other configurations (see article) that included two-piece mounts and other points of attachment. Mine is probably less than ideal, but certainly adequate and doesn't require removal of the clip guide or any other parts. The iron sights maintain zero and useability if for some reason the scope has to be dismounted quickly. Once placed and tightened properly, it is very secure (never had an issue with it shooting loose since I put it on there in 1986...and it's never seen a drop of threadlocker.

As the screw head is so large (and the groove larger than the head of any screwdriver), I keep a piece of flat steel stock on hand which permits distributing force on the screw over the entire groove. Alternatively, one could always use vise grips or channel locks and some sort of cushion material so as not to mar the finish. A greater danger would be to overtighten this screw, resulting in a real problem to fix.

I'm thinking of stealing this scope to put on my new Marlin and getting something more modern and extreme to put in it's place.

-> Guns and Other Weapons Systems Apart From Artillery