Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 am
    ----
Hi All -

We’ve added a gallery of photos of the various AFVs and Artillery displayed aboard Camp Pendleton.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...986_9thqJ5

LVTR7

LVTE1

YW531

LAV-TAU

Type 69 & T-62

Early T-55

Examples of the Artillery Photos are posted to the Artillery Forum.
Galleries of the WW2/Korea LVT Museum and the USMC Mechanized Museum are on the way!

Cheers,
VB

Last edited by vagabond on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am
    ----
- vagabond
T-62

Dear Friend,
a photograph Soviet tank T-54/55, or its Chinese copy. Reason: The ejector is located at the mouth of a cannon.

Drawing taken from a Russian magazine M-Hobby.

#3: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm
    ----
Thanks JT -

I messed up on that! Fixed the IDs in the gallery and edited the post to reflect as well.

Cheers,
VB

#4: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm
    ----
VB, the old ID key was that the T-55 had the bore evacuator and gap in the roadwheel spacing at the front while both were moved rearward on the T-62.

KL

#5: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:16 am
    ----
VB, the tank you describe as a Type 69 is more likely a T-54/Type 59. It lacks one of the main identifying features of the 69, namely the T-62 style bulge for the radiator fan on the lower rear plate. Like this one here.

#6: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm
    ----
Thank you for the help, Kurt and Costas!

Obviously the game plan for next time is to post the photos and ask for ID help BEFORE I title them! LOL!

Have I labeled these three tanks correctly now?
Type 69

Early T-55 - EDITED to reflect info in following post

T-62

If I have it correct, I will retitle the photos in the gallery and edit my posts to reflect.

Thanks again!
VB

Last edited by vagabond on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total

#7: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm
    ----
I should have noticed it before, but the second tank is an early T-55. Note the lack of the ventilator dome and the gun hatch on the turret roof. The loader's hatch with the MG mount was reintroduced in 1970 during T-55 production and as a refit, but the tank illustrated lacks it.

#8: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 am
    ----
VB, I think I may have made a mistake. I identified the T-54/Type 59 as such without at the time realizing that I was looking at the rear hull of the T-55. Now, looking more closely, it is possible that the vehicle in question is indeed a Type 69, as it has mounts for skirting plates on the fenders and the lights are of the pattern more commonly seen on the Type 69. The only way to resolve the issue would be to look at the lower right rear hull. If it's like the T-55's, it's a T-54/Type 59. If it resembles the T-62, then it's a Type 69.
I apologize for possibly having led you down the wrong path. Hopefully, this post can help set the record straight.

#9: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 am
    ----
Costas -

Thanks! I checked Chris Hughes' site and he has a number of shots of the rear end of the tank in question - it does look like the rear of the T-62 and he's got it labeled as a Type 69.

#10: Re: Camp Pendleton - Base Displays Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 am
    ----
Then it's indeed a Type 69. As a matter of fact, the Chinese copied the radiator fan from the T-62.
You are welcome and again sorry for all the trouble I caused.

-> AFV News Discussion Board