Adobe nonsense....
-> Software

#1: Adobe nonsense.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:52 pm
    ----
So, I was trying to view a video on MSNBC today and a box informed me that I needed an Adobe update to view. A "helpful" link is provided direct to Adobe, which I used (I also went to their site outside of the link). Made three attempts to download the update, all of which were successful.

However any attempt to install the update stalls and ends with the message "a reliable source could not be contacted" (or words to that effectl). I couldn't agree more, they seem completely unreliable at facilitating the successful installation of a free update that they require.

Apart from having all the hallmarks of an "unreliable" software provider, has anybody any ideas as to how I can get my player functioning? (Windows, Firefox, all selected according to the Adobe panel

I might add that I've never had ANY Adobe update installation proceed smoothly, whether it's a flash player or pdf reader.

#2: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:12 pm
    ----
I atand to be corrected, but I think what you may have downloaded is just an installer, rather than the.., well, installer.
It just allow you to download the actual update from a particular location, the 'reliable source'.
Adobe have loads of update issues.
Even when it installs correctly it doesn't attach correctly to Firefox.
Or IE.
Or other Adobe software.
Or something.
Leave it until the initial downloading excitement has died down and you may find you can get it much more easily from your favourite 'reliable' source'.

#3: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am
    ----
Sorry but I'm stumped on this one. I just checked my Firefox addons and have nothing from Adobe listed, yet videos at MSNBC play OK for me.

Firefox has a plug-in checker that may help? I just used it and it found my Adobe Reader plugin was out of date, and the update process went smoothly:

www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Also I am using Shockwave Flash instead of Adobe Flash, I don't know but maybe they both do the same thing as a Flash player and Shockwave may be a bit less trouble?

#4: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 pm
    ----
I used the Firefox plugin checker. Things are pretty well enabled an most up to date. It, however advises me that the Adobe flash player thingy need a critical update, exclamation point, etc. I have downloaded the damn thing four times, and each install attempt fails for one of 2-3 reasons.

I've had Adobe updates before and every one of them was problematic. There's are fundamental competence issues when routine software upgrades routinely fail.

What are good options to using any Adobe players? The only thing of theirs I seem to require are pdf readers.

#5: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm
    ----
I'm not sure but Shockwave Flash may be the alternative option to Adobe, since I have it on my system but no Adobe Flash player.

If Shockwave Flash doesn't show up in your plugins maybe it's worth a shot to install.

#6: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: jrockyLocation: South St Paul, MN USA (KSGS) PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:38 pm
    ----
Firefox add on checker for USA, maybe check other languages on the link if not in the USA: Firefox add on check

#7: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 pm
    ----
Sorry Ascout 11.3 out today.
Mine's in and running no problem, although the install was slow.
Just a quick heads-up for you.

#8: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 am
    ----
Another update today. Installed fine here (Win 7) so I'm starting to wonder what might be getting in the way of the updates since they have always been problematic for you. Perhaps it's a firewall issue, since the update starts for you but then sounds like it can't call home for the rest of teh installation content (installers that you download are usually just a small shell that goes and grabs the rest once it's launched)?

#9: Re: Adobe nonsense.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 pm
    ----
anti-virus setting?

-> Software