Back in olden' times...
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:01 pm
    ----
...before Youtube, before SpeedChannel, before there was a decent strip in your area, or before you were old enough to get to or participate in any actual events, we had.....

THIS!

..and I can well remember sitting around with other pimply-faced friends with magazines open before us and the volume cranked up to the very limits of monophonic distortion. Yes, listened to this very recording and recall the incidents recorded on it. "That's entertainment........"

#2: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm
    ----
"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!"

Bio for Mr. Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...C._Gabriel

#3: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm
    ----
Too freakin' kewl.....good material there for a surf'n'hotrod song, I gotta have that playing in the background on the 'puter while I noodle around with some twangy surf guitar..... Smile

#4: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Too freakin' kewl.....good material there for a surf'n'hotrod song, I gotta have that playing in the background on the 'puter while I noodle around with some twangy surf guitar..... Smile

It's been done....

Laughing

#5: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 am
    ----
Oh yes been done many times no doubt about it....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5XB5X0Nek

....and like anything good we gotta keep doing it more and more! Mr. Green

#6: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 am
    ----
Wait wait wait....HEEEERE'S the one I was lookin' for, oh hell yeah! Equally vintage, at least the music...who knows maybe he used your album in your post above! Laughing Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyP1A2jwx4E

^^^ Oops fixed duplicate link

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#7: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:20 am
    ----
More back on topic.... when I was a wee little one, for some reason one year my parents got me the album shown below as a gift. Although I had no interest in karting...I'm thinking it was a diversion to keep me from messing with their Henry Mancini and Herb Alpert LP's.

None of my buddies were as interested in sitting around listening to it with magazines open like with your cool Big Sounds Of Drag Racing album, Ascout. But I think the one listen that I did give the album (which basically sounded like a continuous loop of bees buzzing around in a circle) had an influence toward my affinity for mowing the lawn on weekends.

#8: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:04 pm
    ----
OMG, bees...angry bees! Laughing

Here are some nice moments from Famoso nostalgia drags. If you like Hilborn stacks (and who doesn't?!), this one's for you.

I have actually seen some electronic fuel injection setups recently that incorporate look-alike Hilborn mechanical injector stacks, well, just because...

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

I always liked the looks of the short stacks better and thought they'd just look so trick on a street car because you could get them under a bulged hood. Only thing more wicked cool is a double row of Webers. Twisted Evil

#9: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm
    ----
Speaking of "angry bees", how about scale RC drag racing? With a miniature tree, yet? 1/4 scale dragsters....

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

Staging is apparently done by hand. Burnouts too. Sort of....

Didn't you say you were interested in some kind of computer drag racing? Maybe this is a viable alternative, being as you've got RC 'sperience.

Now, if they'd just record the video and play it back in slo-mo, we might just get some wicked sounds working here (something we actually did many years ago with a Cox Thimbledrome engine and a reel-to-reel recorded. In an apartment, I might add)

#10: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm
    ----
I don't know if the loving spouse could handle me having another foray into the world of R/C as I get pretty deep into my hobbies and have a basement of airplanes and airplane parts to show for the previous excursion into that world. And sometimes that fantasy is better than the reality.

Speaking of which I just came across this video and couldn't help but notice that the sound is almost better than the video itself.,l...worth cranking the speakers up for sure (with exception to the opening 'musical jingle' thing)!

www.youtube.com/watch?...ure=g-vrec

Think I had me an ear-gasm listening to / watching it!

#11: Re: Back in olden' times... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
I don't know if the loving spouse could handle me having another foray into the world of R/C as I get pretty deep into my hobbies and have a basement of airplanes and airplane parts to show for the previous excursion into that world. And sometimes that fantasy is better than the reality.

Speaking of which I just came across this video and couldn't help but notice that the sound is almost better than the video itself.,l...worth cranking the speakers up for sure (with exception to the opening 'musical jingle' thing)!

www.youtube.com/watch?...ure=g-vrec

Think I had me an ear-gasm listening to / watching it!

I cry real tears when I think of how many '39-'40 Ford coupes I saw destroyed without a thought in old jalopy races when I was a kid...

Altereds....tools of the devil! Thunderbolts, the ride of the angels...

...and I mourn the introduction of the short tree. My departed mother could have cut a good light on the full tree...and it really helped in motorcycle launches because your body has to actually do something to launch a bike and you can't be leaning on the bars with your feet off the pegs forever.

Drag racing was meant to be done on carburetors (for door slammers), and Hilborn's (OK, maybe Weind's) for others. Modern fuel injection means no intake "honk", which is just wrong.

Just think, all those $3,500 drag racers are going for $60K on Mecum today, even if they had Blue Flame specials in them before being resto-modded.

Good Stuff!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum