M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI Author: oreob69 PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:54 am
    ----
Hi Joe D

As an old DAT / CDAT, I really enjoyed your M60 Gallery! I’m surprised to see how many M60’s have survived. I live in Colorado Springs; and we have only 1 each A3 at the Evergreen Cemetery. I’ll have to get you some photos later….

I’m glad everyone is enjoying the Photo’s! I was inspired that tour. I need to dig out the Negatives to get some better quality photos remade…. Too bad we didn’t have Digital Photos back in the Day!!! AND you’re right; it is Really AWSOME to find an “old Warhorse” that you served on!!! I would still like to know WHY the Museum selected old C23/2257A! I can only suspect that someone thought it might have been for a M9 Blade Tank! But if you’re an old DAT, you know the left rear sponson box is replaced with a hydraulic reservoir…

Chris was kind enough to send me some interior pictures. AND YES, the Bilge Pump was installed in the Drivers Compartment & his initial photo just barely shows the spout on top the hull! Other than the heavy rust and some of the rubber seats & pads missing or deteriorated, she looked Beautiful for a 28 year old Tank stored outside in Korea! That’s a lot of Monsoons & Typhoons rains (measured in Feet, not Inches). AND you know the M60 leaked like Hell! I didn’t realize that they brought the A3’s up to 10/20 standards and stored them at Casey. Our M48A5’s were brought up to 10/20 standards sold to Turkey (the ROK’s said “O Hell NO!”), that’s what I thought happened to the A3’s! I when back to Casey twice in 2007 as a Contractor and saw an A3 at the Casey/Hovey Gate…. She was in sad shape, inside & out!

Did we serve together in the ROK? I’m the same bright & smiling Redneck, Soju Drinking SFC Andy Oertig that served in 1st Tank from Aug 94-Aug 95! My 5 Korean Tours were: Alpha 1st Tank (Feb 78-79), Charlie 2d Tank (Jan 82-83 & Nov 83-85), HHC (S-3 Shop) 2d Tank (May 88-89) and of course Bravo & HHC (S-2 Shop) 1st Tank (Aug 94-95) and retired in Jan 97….

During the 88-89 Tour, I never saw a Roller in 1st Tanks Motor Pool, and no one ever mentioned that there was a second one. Of course by then, it wasn’t New & the Brigade did not move to the field much during the 88 Olympics…

Another War Story: while on this tour (88-89), I had the Tank Commander (TC) of C23 come up to the S-3 Shop with one of my Dog Tags. He was “pissed” that he found one of my Dog Tags “in the Sub-Floor of his Tank” and wanted to know when I was in there! I looked at him, asked if his tank was C23… I got a reply of “Yes Sergeant, WHY?” You could have knocked him over with a Feather when I told him I was the TC from June/July 84 to Nov 85 and that was the last time I was in C23!

Got to Go, see if this one Posts!

Take Care
Andy O

#17: Re: M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 pm
    ----
Andy O,

Yep, I remember you from Bravo Company, I was in 3rd PLT. Was there when the Barracks caught fire and also did tank turn in for M1A1's. Daneri is my last name. Was in Charlie 2nd Tank 90-91 and back in Bravo 1st Tank 99-00. Also deployed twice to Korea, Fall 00 for Foal Eagle to Wonju, Camp Carol APS-4 storage and is where I seen all the Blade M60's stored and operated by the KSC. Last time was there in 02 for Ulchi Focus exercise that summer at Story Barracks and MPRC. Good to hear from you again.

#18: Re: M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI Author: oreob69 PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 am
    ----
Hey Joe

Email me off line...

Andy O

#19: Re: M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI Author: oreob69 PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 am
    ----
Hey Joe

The best I can do so far… SN 998
Close, BUT no Cigar: SN 985
Memorials in Cadott, Wisconsin / warmemorials.us/munici...adott.html

I’m sure you’ve see this….
Wisconsin War Memorials:
warmemorials.us/armor/m60.html
and this:
USA AFV
216.176.92.62/afv/USA_AFVs.pdf
It’s funny, until I met you & Chris; I never cared about SN’s!
I’ll keep looking!
Andy

#20: Re: M60A3 s/n 2257A, Naval Air Museum Barbers Point, HI Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:47 am
    ----
- oreob69

It’s funny, until I met you & Chris; I never cared about SN’s!
I’ll keep looking!
Andy

Andy,

This forum has a way of doing that to people.

Cheers!

-> AFV News Discussion Board