Preserved Tanks in Canada
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
While on holiday I wrote up and sorted the photographs for Borden. During the same trip I visited Danbury and actually wrote it up some time ago, but never put it online. I've now done that, ahead of putting Borden online.

Now I'm on to working on Borden (before returning to work on the Netherlands). The vehicles inside and outside the museum are done, and I'm currently working through the vehicles around the base:

Canadian Forces Base, Borden

#2: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 am
    ----
Hi Trevor,

I have the following vehicles also as being at Borden. IIRC Mr.Adams has some nice pictures of the T-72.

M 4A1, l/n nov11
M 4A1, l/n nov11
M 4A2(75), located at the Waterloo Officers mess
M 4A3, hard target at the Borden Artillery Range
M 4A4(75), somewhere on the base (?)
M 24, s/n 400, l/n oct10 (N 44 17.354 W 079 53.803)
T-55, former DDR
T-72, s/n G08VT3202, former DDR, l/n nov11,(N 44 17.438 W 079 53.487) acquired in 1992 from the German goverment. ''90'' below the serial number (mod. Date?). This is just a plain T-72.

For the Leopard 1 I have as type 1C1 (source unknown) instead of C2.

regards,
Lesley

#3: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 pm
    ----
Trevor, Lesley,

Further to your work on the Borden collection it is worth noting that exhibits are moving around fairly regularly and that little remains at Worthington Park. The M5A1 serving as gate keepers to the RCAC memorial, Wirbelwind, Hetzer, Crab Flail, Centurion, Grizzly, Churchil and T-34/85 are about all still remaining at the Park.

Many other vehicles are scattered around base with a selection including Grozzly, T-55 and T-72 along the entrance route from Angus.

A few more are scattered in front of the new museum building adjacent to Worthington Park including Leopard 1, Centurion, M4A2E8. The Grizzly Firefly is back on base nearby. The M4A2 has been re-painted and sits in front of officers mess.

Lesley- check your email for photos. Trevor- give me a shout if you'd like more up to date shots...

Bruce
wbruceclark @ hotmail.com

#4: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm
    ----
Thanks guys - I hope to be back working on Borden soon.

#5: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 am
    ----
Good link about vehicles in Canada:
silverhawkauthor.com/a...a_316.html

#6: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 am
    ----
I'm looking for M50 Super Sherman "Alberta", now it's at unknown location in Canada but to November 2011 the tank was part of a memorial, located on Royal Canadian Legion Branch 105, Olds, Alberta (Canada)
s661.photobucket.com/a...ABM502.jpg

The M50 was replaced by Sherman "Easy 8"
rdtvca.wordpress.com/2...ian-model/ www.waymarking.com/way...ds_Alberta

#7: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:56 pm
    ----
Ah!!!

Well that M50 is now in the process of being converted into an M4A4 by the Lord Strathcona Horse Regiment in Edmonton for a museum exhibit. The hull has been stripped out and a new 75mm turret acquired to make it into a "Sherman 5".

Why they destroyed an original M50 to cobble together an M4A4 is beyond me...
Anthony Sewards can fill you in on more detail.
If you're looking for pictures of the former M-50 from Olds, contact me offline.

Bruce

#8: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:14 am
    ----
And if Bruce doesn't have what you need I've got quite a few pics of the M50 too. I was lucky enough to get inside it one time, at least in the turret. All's I can say is that Sherman V better be worth it Neutral .

Jim

#9: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm
    ----
Added the solitary Chaffee to Borden:

Unique ID 2430: M24, Supply Training Group, Borden

#10: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:02 am
    ----
Hi Trevor, good to hear from you again! I visited a great collection at Oshawa near Toronto last January and can send you the details and photos.

www.ontrmuseum.ca/

Tim,

#11: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm
    ----
Tim,

As it was January were any of the vehicles moving? They have a number of runners and display them on numerous weekends in the Summer- was a hoot to watch them put oine of their Sheridans through the paces a couple of years back. Great group and they'll let you have access to anything they're working on.

I also have many photos- and some video!

Bruce

#12: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:13 pm
    ----
Hi Bruce, no, but I was visiting my son who was studying out there and had arranged to see the Abbot they had as I used to serve with them and had been to BATUS. Pat Dooley showed us round the museum and garages and was extremely helpful. Great place and where Ian Flemming learnt to be a spy!

#13: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 am
    ----
Tim, Bruce - I did visit Oshawa but it was getting in to the evening so I only managed to photograph the vehicles outside. I'll post the pictures after Borden, and would appreciate others any you can provide me.

#14: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 am
    ----
Added the solitary T-72 to Borden - I would appreciate anything extra anyone can add, for example do I have the serial number about right? And what model is it? Finally, despite the paint job, is it likely to be ex-Iraqi?

Unique ID 2431: T-72, CANEX, Borden

#15: Re: Preserved Tanks in Canada Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 am
    ----
This should be on of a few Ex -DDR T-72B's that came to Canada in the mid 90's. When they arrived they came painted in Khaki Brown and some had vehicle kit still inside. There is another one out here at the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary, Alberta. That one was a runner when it showed up, and I had a chance to drive it for 45min.

Anthony

-> AFV News Discussion Board