Armored Maintenance Vehicle
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 pm
    ----
I photographed this around 1990 at Aberdeen. Any details available?

Last edited by Rick_Eshleman on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: MLRS Wrecker Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm
    ----
According to Hunnicutt, this is the Armored Maintenance Vehicle variant based on the M987 as part of the Forward Area Armored Logistics System (FAALS). The configuration was modular, allowing the fitting of lightly armored enclosures for rearming or refueling vehicles and a changeover from one configuration to another could be completed in about an hour. The maintenance vehicle carried welding equipment, an air compressor, a hydraulic pump, a work bench, plus tools and repair equipment and also had space for three additional crewmembers in the enclosure.
PM me if you want a picture of the vehicle set up for operation from the book.

#3: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 pm
    ----
This was about the same timeframe that the 'C2V' was being experimented with at Ft Hood. 'Force XXI' testing on new platforms by 4th ID in the mid 90's.

#4: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm
    ----
Two more M993 based vehicle pics I ran across by chance:
The AFARV rearming vehicle of the FAALS series and the FVS carrier with the Hughes VSTAR air search and track radar system.

#5: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:59 pm
    ----
I've got some other photos of the AMV. I also may have some photos or brochures on the AFARV, I have to find the box! Rick

#6: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:40 pm
    ----
There are some in Hunnicutt's Bradley book, too. Including one of the AFARV resupplying an Abrams.

#7: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 am
    ----
Found some M2 variants.

#8: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:29 am
    ----
The Battlefield Management System. The FVS chassis.

#9: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:13 am
    ----
- Costas_TT
Two more M993 based vehicle pics I ran across by chance:
The AFARV rearming vehicle of the FAALS series and the FVS carrier with the Hughes VSTAR air search and track radar system.

That Sixty looks like it was stenciled by a six year old.

#10: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:48 pm
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
The Battlefield Management System

The optronics ball is the same as the one on the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

#11: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm
    ----
More AMV pics (all of the photos I am posting here came from FMC advertising pamphlets, except the AMV layout photo, which is a U.S. Army photo).

#12: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:17 pm
    ----
M1070 Electronic Fighting Vehicle System - for electronic warfare (this was the variant that had the big mast that was stowed under armor along the top of the rear compartment).

#13: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:18 pm
    ----
M1070 EFVS

#14: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm
    ----
M4 Command and Control Vehicle (C2V) (at one time I believe this was called the Brigade Commander's Vehicle).

#15: Re: Armored Maintenance Vehicle Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm
    ----
Command Post Vehicle (apparently the conceptual predecessor of the C2V)

Last edited by Geoff_walden on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board