Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am
    ----
But I thought others may find these of interest.
There were some more photos, but someone had those I think.

#2: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm
    ----
Do you have an interior/engine photos of this vehicle?

#3: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor La Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:32 pm
    ----
I'm sorry, I don't, I wasn't really interested in it, I just photographed it because I thought it strange that it was in a barn, on a farm, in North Wales.
I do know that when I saw it the engine was out, and was being rebuilt at the local garage!!
It is in America now I think.
Best Wishes
Tim

#4: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 am
    ----
Is this the Jadgpanzer IV L70 that ended up at the Patton Museum?? If so, its at Ft Benning now...

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm
    ----
That's the one!

#6: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:33 pm
    ----
The interior is unspectacular as original vehicles go. It had been stripped then rebuilt with some nonstandard 'modern' repairs. Much of the wiring is 'new' and the gauges were modern.

I got to drive it once in the motor pool in 2002 and was supposed to become the regular driver, but then the engine problems occurred and it never ran again.

Regards
Don

#7: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 pm
    ----
That's what happens when you get the engine repaired at the local garage!

#8: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 pm
    ----
Thanks, Tim - much appreciated! Where exactly was it in Wales? - it's news to me that it was ever there. Grange Cavern, maybe?

- Dontos
Is this the Jadgpanzer IV L70 that ended up at the Patton Museum?? If so, its at Ft Benning now...

Yep, it's well travelled:

Unique ID 201: Pz IV/70

#9: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 pm
    ----
Dear Trevor,
It was at Caergroes Farm, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15
Which was owned by Ian McGregor, there was a special auction sale of his collection on 20th July 1993, this particular tank was not listed in the auction catalogue as being for sale, but there were several lots to be announced on the day of the sale. It was definitely there on 17th July 1993 though, as that is when I took the shots of it in the open to the elements outbuilding.

Hope that helps!

#10: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:41 am
    ----
Thanks Tim - I'll update the entry and post here when done. My current entry for McGregor is pretty thin (and the location's clearly a bit out):

Location ID 3840: Ian McGregor Defence

Did you photograph any other tracked AFVs there?

#11: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:25 am
    ----
Yes Trevor, there were more.
Your location is right too, Ian McGregor defence main site, and armoury room was at Fron Ganol, Hirwaen, and the Caer Groes site seems to have been used for storage.
At Caer Groes I saw over the space of a couple of years;

AMX 13
AMX 13 SPG
T-55 Czech built, at least 2
T-54 early, Polish built
VT-34 Czech serial no. 50-687, which went to R&R services Ashford 4/96, and was then at Duxford in private ownership by 8/96. (You may gather that's the vehicle I was most interested in.
T-34-85 at least 3, including this interesting Czech hulled/Russian turreted one
www.primeportal.net/ta...s/t-34_85/
Post war German APC (Hotchkiss)
M75 APC cut but complete
I'll dig my photos out, there was probably more, also there were some OT-810, and Tatra 8X8 trucks, lots of German 20mm Flak guns, all sorts.

Last edited by timroberts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm
    ----
Here's some of the other tanks at Ian McGregor Defence, there are more and I'll add more pics as I find them. The black & white pics are from the auction catalogue.

s7.beta.photobucket.co...%20Defence

#13: Re: Ex Shrivenham PzIV70 in North Wales c.1992 For Trevor Larkum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 pm
    ----
Thanks, Tim!

-> AFV News Discussion Board