Into Thin Air
-> Officer's Club

#1: Into Thin Air Author: Combat PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 pm
    ----
This is a link to an incredible 2 billion pixel photograph of Mount Everest. Use the control panel at the bottom to change your view. Sit back, relax, get the reading glasses and your favorite beverage and enjoy! You can spend a lot of time on this one. Everest is the BIG peak in the back!

s3.amazonaws.com/Gigap..._FLAT.html

This map gives an idea of where the camps are and where climbers can be found on the way to the summit.

If you have read Krakauer's Into Thin Air you can really appreciate his accounts of the "traffic jams" that climbers encountered when making it to the summit... these log jams of mountaineers have lead to the deaths of many. There are over 150 bodies still on the mountain frozen in time.

Check out the photo. I found about 50 or so climbers making the trek up the mountain. In the glacier you can find rope foot bridges and ladders. Base Camp, Camp #1, Camp #2 can be easily found along with climbers making it to each way point. At base camp you'll find close to 500 tents set up.

www.washingtonpost.com...tid=pm_pop

#2: Re: Into Thin Air Author: SnorreLocation: Ziegenhain, Germany PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm
    ----
Cool, thank you!

#3: Re: Into Thin Air Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 am
    ----
The crowds have gotten so bad in recent years that I've taken to sprinting up the NW side on my summits. Don't have to step over all those bodies or elbow rubberneckers out of the way. Sure, you have to bribe a couple of PLA guys to avoid touchy border issues, but a few authentic JG300 member autographs bring big yuán back in the big city. And a bottle of JG300 Private Reserve is worth a case of Cheerday or Tsingtao so I'll just omit one oxygen bottle and carry a six-pack of Private Reserve for barter emergencies. Wink

-> Officer's Club