Making amends....
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm
    ----
...for the four-door Mustang post:

www.foxnews.com/leisur...es#slide=1

Consider for a moment that the AMC "AMX" was basically a short wheelbase Javelin with two seats. Only the nameplate really held it back. I recall them generally beating the stuffing out of other ponycars in the slalom/autocross circuit. Wink

#2: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:01 am
    ----
Very cool. I was just looking at a few AMX's on Hemmings Motor news classifieds. I like 'em. A fellow at work has a pristine '68 AMX with a 360 and 4-speed. And I recall a guy in high school who had a '71 Javelin with a 390 that kicked a lot of butt.

Also saw a '68 Galaxie XL with a 428 in NC near you. Smile

#3: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

Also saw a '68 Galaxie XL with a 428 in NC near you. Smile

Linky?

Not a 7 Litre, blue with white conv. top by any chance? Badged "7Litres" are usuall '66-'67 cars. One year, they even deleted the "Galaxie" reference and it was a unique model designation.

Most 428's in 7 Litre's and Galaxies were "Thunderbird spec", which is to say, a claimed 300+ HP (neither Q or R code engines), but more than likely, something under 300. High torque, low H.P. There's a nice one locally that's affordable, but I'd rather a Torino or something with a better spec engine.

#4: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:10 am
    ----
Here's the '68 Galaxie XL in Concord, NC (OK I'm not sure how far that is from you). It's certainly clean looking.

www.hemmings.com/class...20845.html

Perchance there is a 7-Litre '66 Galaxie but it's just a taaaaaad more money... Wink

www.hemmings.com/class...70786.html

Torino? Well there just happen to be a few over in Charlotte Smile

www.hemmings.com/class...n%20Torino

#5: Re: Making amends.... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:19 pm
    ----
first thanks to all you piglets for not booting me out of your squad forums, ever... I try not to be "that guest"...

Now, you hit a sweet spot... my love for the galaxie.. if ever I could have a car, it would be a 63 convertible, red with white interior and top, 390, chrome reverse with baby moons.... *dreamin*....

here is a car I gave away to a friends son a couple years ago. I took it in for an oil change and the guy said it had been 11 months since the last one but I had only ut 300 miles on it.. it had to go!

it had 57,000 miles on it (390)

1970 LTD

#6: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 am
    ----
You guys are killing me. Crying or Very sad

I finally put the Cougar up for sale. Started off high for it's current condition, hoping no one will make an offer but it has to go.

www.mercurycougar.net/...alifornia.

#7: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

I finally put the Cougar up for sale. Started off high for it's current condition, hoping no one will make an offer but it has to go.

So you had to f*** around and wait 'til I'd moved to the east coast, huh? Evil or Very Mad

#8: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 am
    ----
JG300 members get a discount.

Especially CO's. Wink

#9: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
JG300 members get a discount.

Especially CO's. Wink

Well, 2,800 miles is a long way. However, from what I can see in the pics, you should have no trouble selling a CA car in CA, as Cougars are rare (especially the '67-68, the only years worth having, IMO). Lots of shops that can do the interior/exterior as well as drive train. Somebody will snatch this up and we'll probably see it on Mecum auctions in a year or two. Wink

#10: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

Awww dude. I am genuinely sorry to hear that. I hope you get a great price for it though.

That is a beautiful machine.

#11: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout

Well, 2,800 miles is a long way.

It has made the trip before (not quite that far). Think it was 1992 I drove it to Louisville KY to visit my Father. Didn't have much going on at the time and thought maybe I'd try out there. Didn't work out, realized there was a good reason why that side of my family and myself lived so far apart and after a month or so I got homesick. Stopped in Nashville to visit my cousin, spent the night. Left his house at around 11am on a Monday and was back in Los Angeles by 11:30pm Tuesday night Laughing

The only pic I remember of the trip was of the Cougar in front of a Mesa in Arizona. If I can dig it up I'll post it.

#12: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Ascout

Well, 2,800 miles is a long way.

It has made the trip before (not quite that far). Think it was 1992 I drove it to Louisville KY to visit my Father. Didn't have much going on at the time and thought maybe I'd try out there. Didn't work out, realized there was a good reason why that side of my family and myself lived so far apart and after a month or so I got homesick. Stopped in Nashville to visit my cousin, spent the night. Left his house at around 11am on a Monday and was back in Los Angeles by 11:30pm Tuesday night Laughing

The only pic I remember of the trip was of the Cougar in front of a Mesa in Arizona. If I can dig it up I'll post it.

Please post it!

My memories of Louisville are generally positive. Of course, it helps that I was a young man doing two stints at Ft. Knox (one for training, one as a test project tanker at the Armor Board) for something just over two years. Ft. Knox was what I filled in on my "dream sheet" when DEROS'ing from Vietnam, and only two guys from my entire squadron got assigned there coming home (everybody else with more time to do wound up at funky places like Ft. Hood and Ft. Riley, where they had to really "army"). There are MUCH worse places to spend two years in uniform. Wink

#13: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 am
    ----
Louisville was a fun city and it was a worthwhile trip. I did have a blast the whole time I was there. Churchill Downs, Downtown Louisville at night, I had some fun.

On that trip we did go to Fort Knox since my Father was also stationed there after VN. The barracks he was originally in were gone but the road was still there. We also went to Elizabeth Town which is where we (Father, Mother & me about 2 yrs old) rented a room from an older woman while he was at Ft. Knox.

I obviously didn't remember the house except from old 8mm footage I had seen but was kinda cool to see it in person. My Father owned a 65 Impala which he would drive to base and when he was done serving his time we drove it back to California, also in the 8mm footage. We also went by "jerry's Restuarant" in E-town which is where my Mother waitressed at the time.

Again, I was too young to remember any of it but it was cool to see that part of my Parents life and know my Dad got a kick out of it.

#14: Re: Making amends.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Louisville was a fun city and it was a worthwhile trip. I did have a blast the whole time I was there. Churchill Downs, Downtown Louisville at night, I had some fun.

On that trip we did go to Fort Knox since my Father was also stationed there after VN. The barracks he was originally in were gone but the road was still there. We also went to Elizabeth Town which is where we (Father, Mother & me about 2 yrs old) rented a room from an older woman while he was at Ft. Knox.

I obviously didn't remember the house except from old 8mm footage I had seen but was kinda cool to see it in person. My Father owned a 65 Impala which he would drive to base and when he was done serving his time we drove it back to California, also in the 8mm footage. We also went by "jerry's Restuarant" in E-town which is where my Mother waitressed at the time.

Again, I was too young to remember any of it but it was cool to see that part of my Parents life and know my Dad got a kick out of it.

E-Town is iconic to generations of tankers and armor officers. Radcliff is the "base town" nearest to the fort, but E-Town is somewhat bigger and nicer. There is a local FM station there, WQXE ("Quicksie in Dixie", or, at the time, "Quicksie in the Sticks" among staff). VN-era, the army offered a post-separation program called "Project Transition" aimed at giving GI's with non-transferable skills (read: combat arms) several weeks of vocational training for transition to civvie life (arranged through participating local businesses, if it was something the army didn't do itself on post). I wanted to work in commercial radio as a way to earn some dukets when I got out and went to school, so they arranged for me to be the news director at the station. Lotsa' fun and was like getting out of school early that last 2-3 months. Hardin and Bullitt counties had (and may have) some strange liquor laws (at least one of them was dry) so travel to outlying counties was especially common).

Had some great (and generally un-reportable) adventures in Louisville.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum