But we could be eating tree rats
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#31: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:06 am
    ----
Hey, the more targets for all of us. Thanks Shady for calling in the rest of your family so we can all practice.

#32: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 am
    ----
They's not more targets.
They's the beginning of the rebellion!
Muwahahahahaha!

#33: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: horseman88 PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:15 pm
    ----
it's Like my pappy said, the only good tree rat, is the one in the stew pot

#34: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:53 am
    ----
Skwirrell Brains May Be Unsafe

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Skwirrell brains are a lip-smacking memory for Janet Norris Gates. They were the choicest morsels of the game her father once hunted in Tennessee. ``In our family, we saw it as a prized piece of meat, and if he shared it with you, you were pretty happy. Not that he was stingy,'' said Mrs. Gates, an oral historian in Frankfort, ``but there's just not much of a Skwirrell brain.'' Now, some people might want to think twice about eating Skwirrell brains, a backwoods Southern delicacy.
Two Kentucky doctors last month reported a possible link between eating Skwirrell brains and the rare and deadly human variety of mad-cow disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, thought to strike one person in 1 million, produces holes in the brain. Symptoms include loss of muscle control and dementia. It may take years, even decades, for symptoms to appear.
Dr. Eric Weisman, a behavioral neurologist who practices in rural western Kentucky, reported in the distinguished British medical journal The Lancet that he has treated 11 people for Creutzfeldt-Jakob in four years, and all had eaten Skwirrell brains at some time. Six of the victims, ranging in age from 56 to 78, have died.
The normal incidence of the disease in the area should be one case in about 10 years, he said.
Weisman and co-author Dr. Joseph Berger, chairman of the neurology department at the University of Kentucky, cautioned that the number of cases is small, and no Skwirrell brains have actually been examined for the disease. They said many questions remain, including how the Skwirrells would contract the disease, since they do not eat meat.
``However, it is perhaps best to avoid Skwirrell brains and probably the brains of any other animal,'' Berger said.
Philip Lyvers, a farmer and hunter in central Kentucky whose wife simmers Skwirrells , head and all, with sauteed onions and peppers and serves them over rice, said ``two guys' opinions'' in a medical journal won't make him change his ways.
``I know more old hunters than I know of old doctors,'' Lyvers said. Mrs. Gates said that given all the other environmental hazards around, she is not frightened by the doctors' findings. ``There's no way I can undo what I've done. But I certainly enjoyed eating them,'' she said. Cooked Skwirrell brain is about the size of a pingpong ball and is said to taste something like liver, only kind of mushy.
Hunters annually bag about 1.5 million Skwirrells in Kentucky. Some people have also been known to cook up road kill Skwirrells, which concerns Berger. A crazed Skwirrell may be more likely to dash into traffic and get killed.
Exactly how many people eat the brains is not clear.
The menu for the 18th annual Slone Mountain Squirrel Festival in Floyd County last weekend did not include Skwirrell brains, or any other part of the Skwirrell for that matter.
``We don't even fix Skwirrell gravy anymore,'' said Otis Hicks, one of the organizers. ``We don't serve any wild animal whatsoever. The health department said they'd all have to be checked, so we just decided not to fool with it.'' Michael Ann Williams, who teaches food customs in a folklore program at Western Kentucky University, said some students can recall their parents eating Skwirrell brains, usually scrambled with eggs.
``I don't think I've had a student who said, `Oh yeah, I think Skwirrell brains are yummy myself,''' Ms. Williams said.
Article
By Charles Wolfe
Associated Press Writer
Copyright 1997 The Associated Press

Source: www.greysquirrel.net/brain.html

To be fair.... there will always be some who disagree.

#35: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm
    ----
but they only found 3 brains in the million and a half

#36: Re: But we could be eating tree rats Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm
    ----
Thought of you lot today.
Heheheheh

-> Officer's Club