Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm
    ----
Hello,

I'm looking for a good photo showing the Fort Riley's M4A3(75)w gun travel lock from very close distance (just like the 105mm gun travel lock shown here). Thanks for any help. The Fort Riley's is the only one I know that has the short gun travel lock variant in its WW2 configuration with the "2 fingers".

P-O

#2: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:48 pm
    ----
this tank was formally at Ferris Barracks, Germany. Home of 2BDE, 1AD.
Dan

#3: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm
    ----
here it is way back when.
www.armykaserne.com/fe...herman.jpg

Dan

#4: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Hello,

I'm looking for a good photo showing the Fort Riley's M4A3(75)w gun travel lock from very close distance (just like the 105mm gun travel lock shown here). Thanks for any help. The Fort Riley's is the only one I know that has the short gun travel lock variant in its WW2 configuration with the "2 fingers".

P-O

Is that a MGMC M16 in the background? The gun mount looks funny, apart from the missing guns/ammo boxes. Were "batwings" used on any other variant?

#5: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 am
    ----
Same request for the Fort Stewart M4A3(75)W, it also has the WW2 variant of the gun travel lock..

thanks for any help.

P-O

#6: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Is that a MGMC M16 in the background? The gun mount looks funny, apart from the missing guns/ammo boxes. Were "batwings" used on any other variant?

#7: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm
    ----
It's an M16A1, converted from a run of the mill M3, hence the lack of folding upper parts with cutouts on the sides and rear and the higher mounted Maxson turret.
And yes, batwings were used on "normal" M16s.

#8: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: Smashy PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT
It's an M16A1, converted from a run of the mill M3, hence the lack of folding upper parts with cutouts on the sides and rear and the higher mounted Maxson turret.
And yes, batwings were used on "normal" M16s.

But only after WW2.

#9: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:07 pm
    ----
Indeed.

#10: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm
    ----
I'll check thru my 'files' see if I have some detailed photos of the early 'scissors' travel lock....

Regards
Don

#11: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:18 pm
    ----
I think that it is interesting that the Sherman has a piece of applique armor on the upper right-hand hull side. Theoretically, this didn’t happen, since the 47 degree hull-front M4s had the ammunition all moved out of the sponsons for Wet Stowage. (Based on the picture that Dan posted of the vehicle in Germany, it looks like the extra armor could be an ad-hoc sort of arrangement.)

Mark

#12: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:28 pm
    ----
Mark,
I imagine since they came from Germany, it is a combat veteran.
Dan

#13: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am
    ----
My guess is that the tank could have got a hit on the side (maybe a shell), and this appliqué armor would have been a repair, so that the tank could be put in service again.. there seems to be no other logical explanation to this.

In agree with panamadan, it is most probably a combat vet. Joe DeMarco noted that it didn't have any post-1945 upgrade (like the all-round vision cupola, the gun travel lock with 1-piece locking arm...)

P-O

#14: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm
    ----
I also agree that it's probably not applique armor but some sort of patch. Was this due to combat damage, or was this a range target that got a quick "GI repair" patch before going on display?

I am overdue to go back down to Ft. Riley for some photography.

#15: Re: Fort Riley M4A3(75) Sherman photo Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:28 pm
    ----
- binder001
I am overdue to go back down to Ft. Riley for some photography.

If you go there, here are my requests regarding the M4A3(75)W :
read the last digit of the serial number on the rear tow lug (Joe D read a SN 4875, but it should be a 5-digit number, between 48750 and 48759)
a close-up showing how the "patch" armor plate is welded
a good photo of the gun travel lock, showing the "two fingers"
a photo showing the engine deck, especially the plate to the rear of the engine doors (is it a 1-piece or 2-pieces plate? How thick is it?)
a photo of the hull casting marking

(yes, this one is a photo taken by Paul and Loren Hannah)

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board