Open depot days Soesterberg
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:55 pm
    ----
Linked an article in Dutch about the museumweekend 2013. In this article it says that it is possible to have a look at the army museum depot (part of it probaly) and the air force museum which both have a part of their collection at the former Soesterberg AB / Camp New Amsterdam.

The army museum depot is interesting since they have a large collection of vehicles in a former aircraft hangar

www.militaireluchtvaar...aspx?id=68

#2: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 pm
    ----
just made some new plans for this weekend Mr. Green

#3: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 pm
    ----
Normally I must work on both days
But I now must try to get one day off !!!

Walter

#4: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm
    ----
Check the following linkl (in Dutch) for extra info
forum.scramble.nl/view...81#p631581

In short, the hangardoors op the storage depot will be open but it is not allowed to go inside.

Regards,
Lesley

#5: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
In short, the hangardoors op the storage depot will be open but it is not allowed to go inside.

You better bring a telephoto lens Smile

Massimo

#6: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info !
Now I feel no need to go anymore

Walter

#7: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:00 am
    ----
Is some of this army collection items that were formerly at the cavalry museum in Amersfoort (and is that still even in existence)?

#8: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 am
    ----
My understanding is the Delft's collection will go to Soesterberg, Amersfoort will keep running. Am I wrong?

Massimo

#9: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 am
    ----
The cavalrymuseum is still at the current location on the Bernhard barracks in Amersfoort. The storage of the cavalrymuseum is also located at this barracks.

The army museum in Delft had some vehicles displayed in Delft but had a rather large collection in storage. It used to be at the Maaldrift depot but everything is transferred to the former Chinook/Cougar hangars at the Soesterberg air base.

They are building a new museum at Soesterberg in which the nearby air force museum and the army museum will be combined. UNfortunately aircraft will be hung on the ceiling and not the complete collection will be exhibited. For example the following from scramble.nl;

Outside: Atlantique, F-102A Delta Dagger, F-27-300M, Neptune en F-86F Sabre.

Inside (ground):
Bölkow-105, Curtiss Hawk (nieuw), Do-24, D.VII, F-16, Meteor, Lockheed 12, P-51D en S-58.

Inside (Ceiling):
Buffalo (nieuw), C-47B, Farman (nieuw), C.X, G-1A, D.XXI, Hunter Mk.IV, Seafury, Seahawk, OH-23C Raven, FK-51, Starfighter, Mitchell, Alouette II, Northrop F-5, F-15A Eagle, F-84F, Spitfire.

Depot:
Agusta Bell 204B, T-37B, PBY-5A, DH-82A, DH-89B, Beaver, Fi-103V-1, S-11, S-14, Tracker, T-33, TF-104G, F-4E, MiG-21, Harvard, F-100D, F-86K, NF-5A, Piper Cub, F-84G, Thunderjet, Thunderflash, Alouette III en replica Spitfire IX.
(only visible on ''special'' days)

I'am afraid the same will happen with AFVs...

Regards,
Lesley

Last edited by L.Delsing on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am
    ----
I visited Delft last year, the building was beautiful and really fascinating, but not suited for displaying large/heavy artifacts and vehicles.

Hopefully merging the two collections will not impose too many trade-off... I guess we have to wait and see.

Massimo

#11: Re: Open depot days Soesterberg Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm
    ----
Thanks, Lesley. That is an unfortunate development. No doubt I'm fortunate to have visited both when I did.

-> AFV News Discussion Board