#1: Ouch! Author: Smashy PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm
    ----
Ouch!

#2: Re: Ouch! Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:34 am
    ----
What is the background story?

#3: Re: Ouch! Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
    ----
How do you explain that to the plt sgt or the maintenance NCO....

#4: Re: Ouch! Author: Smashy PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am
    ----
- JWB2
What is the background story?

World war Two Smile

#5: Re: Ouch! Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm
    ----
I have seen many pictures of dead AFVs but this has to be a first, I can't see any trace of burn marks on that tank, has to be a mine. I would like more info.

#6: Re: Ouch! Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm
    ----
I have seen such a photo of a dead Sherman before, the destruction was very similar.

The destruction had been caused by a mine blast

#7: Re: Ouch! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:24 pm
    ----
Another picture of the same tank:

#8: Re: Ouch! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm
    ----
Another Sherman that makes you wonder what happened:

#9: Re: Ouch! Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 pm
    ----
A bloody big bang! Another job for the padre with his mess tin & spoon!

#10: Re: Ouch! Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 pm
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
Another picture of the same tank:

Ok, found the book where I saw the photo.
I thought it was another Sherman, however it is the same vehicle.

It is shown in the Concord - Armor at war series, number 7036 "The Sherman at war"
It shows the same Sherman from the left side and a part of the armored car behind it

According the caption this destruction was caused by a internal explosion caused by a mine
It happened during fighting near Borgo Sabotino (near Anzio, Italy) ) on 23rd May 1944

Micel

#11: Re: Ouch! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 am
    ----
Interesting that a direct vision Sherman hadn't been upgraded with the extra plate in front of the driver and bog by May of '44

#12: Re: Ouch! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
A bloody big bang! Another job for the padre with his mess tin & spoon!

WAY back in the '70's, I was a candidate for a position at the Naval Ordnance Center in Louisville. During my tour/second interview, the operations manager explained that they'd had a couple of surface mount gun turrets (5 or 6 inch) that had suffered catastrophic events and after some brave attempts to clean them up, it was decided to just seal them up and have them sunk at sea. This was during peacetime, of course, and surface mount guns were fast fading from use anyway. The effect on the staff was greater than the salvage effort warranted.

#13: Re: Ouch! Author: panamadan PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 pm
    ----
[quote="Dennis_Smith"]Another Sherman that makes you wonder what happened:

[
/quote]
Blown up by German engineers after the battle of Kasserine Pass.
Dan

-> AFV News Discussion Board