PC100 vs PC133 Ram
-> Hardware

#1: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 pm
    ----
Are these two chips compatible. I am looking to upgrade the ram on a very old computer and I wasn't sure if I could replace the PC100 Ram with PC133 Ram chips?

I only have two slots available for the upgrade so I am limited on the number of chips I can install. I have found what I think are compatible at Newegg but the size only goes to 512mb.

NewEgg: www.newegg.com/Product...m%20memory

If they are made I would really like to find a couple of 1024mb chips for it.

Wheels

#2: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am
    ----
You need to match them to the PC rating of your chip and mobo.

If your chip is PC800 (for instance) you would be looking at RAM which is PC800, or PC400 (easily divides into the chip number but exact is best).

Otherwise it may work but, because it's not a performance match, it will become a bottle-neck which slows the pc down.

#3: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 pm
    ----
The short answer is yes, they'll interchange, but as Shades stated, it's better to match them. Wink

#4: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 pm
    ----
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz 2.39GHz
RAM: 1.00 GB
System Type: 32 Bit
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP8X 512MB DDR2

Where do I look for the rating on the motherboard if this is the wrong information?

I am not a computer professional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Mr. Green

Wheels

#5: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm
    ----
I should have known better than to start thinking about tinkering with it again. Either the monitor or video card gave up the ghost shortly after my last post. Rolling Eyes

Wheels

#6: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm
    ----
Does it post or 'fire' up the monitor at all? If not, check the ram as the system allocates 1mb to 'start' the video... Wink

#7: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 am
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
Does it post or 'fire' up the monitor at all? If not, check the ram as the system allocates 1mb to 'start' the video... Wink

I had just finished watching a video and was going to watch another one. When I clicked the play button the screen just went blank. I could still hear the sound but there was nothing but a black screen. (I know that Michelle Jenneke is smoking hot but I wasn’t expecting her to fry my video card. Mr. Green ) I thought maybe I had shut the monitor off accidentally but I looked and the monitor light was still on. I held the power button in until the system shut down and that's where things stand at the moment.

I have been going to fix some other things so I figure I might as well bite the bullet and start from scratch and fix everything on my list this time.

I am going to start by putting my monitor on another system to see if it works. If it does I will look into the Ram memory and video card to see if either one of those is the problem. My money would go on the video card since I had just went to the control panel to find my system specs before I made my prior post that listed my system specs and all 1024MB of Ram was being seen by the Systems page.

After I get that fixed I am going to replace the CMOS battery. It's ten years old so I figure it's on its last legs if it isn't already gone. I just need to find the BIOS software again.

I am also going to replace the 60MB HD I have in it with the 160MB HD I found a few months ago. (Lol I went and got the receipt and it was September 2011 that I bought it.) I was going to use it as a second hard drive but now I figure I will just use it as the primary.

Shouldn't have looked at NewEgg again. I will probably get one of these now. Mr. Green
WD3200AAJB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache: www.newegg.com/Product...6822136109

Even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently I still think I will need some help through this little adventure.

Wheels

#8: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm
    ----
Wheels if you get your video working you can go here: www.guru3d.com/files_c...ities.html and download CPU-Z. Just install and run it. It will tell you everything about your system. MoBo manufactor, BIOS, chipset type and speed of ram model numbers...ect. Then you can google that info and find out just what specs ur MoBo has what it will accept. Just upgrading the BIOS in most cases will allow you to use a little faster ram and as they said it is better if the ram is a matching set, but be careful if you have never done this before. Today's puters offer BIOS upgrades through a .exe file but older ones you have to flash the BIOS which could be tricky. I am sure Shades could give the address to his favorite tech site which has a lot of great info.

Good Luck!

Also try looking here for your ram: www.tigerdirect.com/ap...-Spot%2010

ur Welcome

#9: Re: PC100 vs PC133 Ram Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:45 am
    ----
Thanks for the help Homfixr. Smile

Wheels

-> Hardware