70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany
-> Officer's Club

#1: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm
    ----
Celebrated today (Sunday 12th May 2013), by the Battle of Britain Flight's Lancaster bomber making a double fly-past of Brooklands Museum (formerly airfield and manufacturing base for Hurricane and Lancaster aircraft).
This is also where Barnes Wallis developed the Bouncing and Tallboy bombs.
His office has been frozen in time for Brooklands visitors.
I was lucky enough to have been tipped off and took some film of the fly-past and post here just for you lot.
Apologies for the shake as this was hand-held and taken in a jostling crowd.
The sound and sight of my 2nd favourite aircraft should make up for it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34P_nMKQTM

#2: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:34 pm
    ----
Holy frikkin cripes that's COOL! You Lucky Swi....er....Skwirrel! Thanks!!!!!

#3: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 pm
    ----
Thanks Shades! Probably never would have known this. That Lancaster was a hell of a bomber!

#4: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:00 am
    ----
Thanks, tree rat. I used to live near the runway at Palomar airport where a little known outfit called "Cinema Air" has facilities. A mechanic there used to tip me off when flights were planned. And of course sometimes I was just tipped off by the sound of a couple of Merlins buzzing the house (there were two regularly flown P-51's there, among a lot of other goodies).

A Lanc in "real time", not recorded, must be very impressive. I've only ever heard a Mossie as a Merlin multi doing a flyby.(quite some years ago)

#5: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 am
    ----
Thanks much Tree Rat, you're good for something after all. Smile

#6: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm
    ----
I don't suppose they hand over the keys to a sim pilot with lots of hours if I promised to keep it on country roads, obey all traffic laws, and kept it below a hunnerd and forty....?

#7: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm
    ----
Sorry bud.
RAF only.

I'm sure I remember seeing several in formation once as a child, but can't find any record of it.
Very frustrating memory.
Glad you liked it.

The sound in real life is bloody marvellous.
If you ever get the chance....

#8: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:01 am
    ----
Just when I think treerats serve no useful purpose! Thanks for letting us in on it Shades

#9: Re: 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters raid on Germany Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 am
    ----
Shhh.
We don't like people knowing that we have a purpose..
Wink

-> Officer's Club