Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:07 pm
    ----
M46 Tank, freshly painted. There was really no one around to ask in the outdoor displays. Same with inside, they don't pull research boxes on weekends either. So SN this tank not sure. Possibly from Etters, PA? Has anyone visited Etters, or was it Beech Creek,PA, lately? Rick

#17: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:46 pm
    ----
I checked our photos from 3/12/12 of the engine deck of the M60A1 and it's impossible to make out the SN. Same with the tow lug. I DO have a shot of the RN that I can post.

Rick - the last time we were in Beech Creek, PA was in August of 2011.
Gallery link:
www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...898_VrC7ZP

#18: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 pm
    ----
VB, Thanks for sharing Beech Creek photos. In looking at the phone box alone, numbers are on the one at Carlisle, but not the Beech Creek, so probably two different vehicles. So not sure where the M46 came from. Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA also has the M46, so I'll compare the numbers. Ft In. Gap 898, img 1742.
For the Shadock, the M4A3 Sherman has 11473 stamped on front and rear hull. In front under the tow hook (near driver) and diagonal on rear left upper hull, same numbers. Hope this helps verify or find new SN for a Sherman. (see photo: img 2185).

#19: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 am
    ----
The tank with serial 898 on the infantry phone casting is the ex-Etters vehicle.

KL

#20: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:32 am
    ----
Thanks Kurt, then the Ft. Indiantown Gap, National Guard Museum has the ex-Etters M46.

#21: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:02 am
    ----
Hey Guys,

We were just through Missouri and did a quick drive by of Fort Leonard Wood. We noticed that the M46 and M939 Gun Truck were gone from their slabs - thought maybe they were being restored as the 2 M41s at the Parade Ground had been freshly repainted.

So, what with the mystery M46 at Carlisle, I just checked my photos of the M46 for FtLW and the phone box has the same number on it as the Carlisle M46 - 416. Apparently the M46 has been moved from FtLW to Carlisle, PA.

Check out this photo:

If you need a larger photo, click on it and it will take you to the gallery. Then choose original size and zoom in.

#22: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:04 am
    ----
Also the M46 at FtLW had what looks like 270 on the front tow lug:

#23: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 am
    ----
VB,
Looks like it may be the same M46! Did Ft. Leonard Wood go through a BRAC closure? If so they sent the M46 to Carlisle. Rick

#24: Re: Carlisle, PA US Army Heritage and Education Center Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:16 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
For improved indoor shots I'm planning to get the Tokina 11-16 lens (maybe before Trevor does lol)

No chance - it's on my shopping list for this weekend!

-> AFV News Discussion Board