Carlisle, PA usahec artillery
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 pm
    ----
Here's 3 pieces at Carlisle.

#2: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:07 pm
    ----
3 more photos.

#3: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm
    ----
3 more photos.

#4: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 pm
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
3 more photos.

The first one is interesting. Looks to have an unsplit trail and capable of firing while still limbered. Anyone know if that's the case?

#5: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm
    ----
JG-300 Ascout,
I think you are meaning the M102, which is able to fire complete 360 degrees. I'm posting some more of it for you. I saw later versions at Aberdeen PG in the late 1980s being fired. Rick

#6: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 am
    ----
I think he was talking about the Bronze 12 pdr Napoleon or it's limber in the second set.

I think he was joking about the picture of the limber. If not and he was serious No you can't fire a 12 pdr while limbered. The closest is a 'retirement by prolongue' where you hook a rope (The prolongue) to the gun's pintle and and stretch it out and hook it to the limber then use the horse team to drag the limber and gun off the field of battle with the gun crew walking alongside and when the pursuers get too close fire off a round (usually canister or double canister Twisted Evil ) Sort of a retreat with honor Wink

#7: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 am
    ----
- bsmart
I think he was talking about the Bronze 12 pdr Napoleon or it's limber in the second set.

I think he was joking about the picture of the limber. If not and he was serious No you can't fire a 12 pdr while limbered. The closest is a 'retirement by prolongue' where you hook a rope (The prolongue) to the gun's pintle and and stretch it out and hook it to the limber then use the horse team to drag the limber and gun off the field of battle with the gun crew walking alongside and when the pursuers get too close fire off a round (usually canister or double canister Twisted Evil ) Sort of a retreat with honor Wink

Yes, i was referring to the first pic in the second set. No, I wasn't kidding. As I don't see any split trail, I wondered if it was designed to be possible to fire while still limbered to whatever tows it. I'm not an arty guy so I don't really know what's possible. Thought it might have a motorized tow that could get it pointing in the right direction for action and that it appears to have stowage for at least a few "ready rounds" for such an emergency. Sort of a poor man's SP turreted howitzer analog, but I guess not from the answers.

Just askin'....

#8: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 am
    ----
So they have a 8.8 cm Pak 41/43, pretty cool.

Massimo

#9: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 pm
    ----
Massimo,
Yes the have the 8.8cm Pak 41/43. It's in the WW 2 area with the Sherman tank. As for the M102, I photographed the sign for details, since like JG300 I'm not too up on artillery! Rick

#10: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- bsmart

Yes, i was referring to the first pic in the second set. No, I wasn't kidding. As I don't see any split trail, I wondered if it was designed to be possible to fire while still limbered to whatever tows it. I'm not an arty guy so I don't really know what's possible. Thought it might have a motorized tow that could get it pointing in the right direction for action and that it appears to have stowage for at least a few "ready rounds" for such an emergency. Sort of a poor man's SP turreted howitzer analog, but I guess not from the answers.

Just askin'....

I figured you knew about the M102 that was from your era (Vietnam) there is a roller under the end of the box trail that allows you to pivot the piece without lifting the trail (Like in a firepit). I doubt that it could be fired while still limbered since that would reduce the resistance provided by the trail pushing against the ground

#11: Re: Carlisle, PA usahec artillery Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 am
    ----
- bsmart
- JG300-Ascout
- bsmart

Just askin'....

I figured you knew about the M102 that was from your era (Vietnam) there is a roller under the end of the box trail that allows you to pivot the piece without lifting the trail (Like in a firepit). I doubt that it could be fired while still limbered since that would reduce the resistance provided by the trail pushing against the ground

Thanks, Bob. My experience on firebases seemed almost entirely to be ones equipped with M107's, M109's or M110's. There were some 105's and mortars about as well, but it seemed as secondary armament to the main battery for short range work and firebase defense. I was spoiled up north with organic gunship support* and down south with an organic six gun battery of M109's. 105's are something I mostly see in other's pictures and films. I see yer' point, though...like I said, I'm no redleg.

*Weather and sunlight permitting, your mileage may vary

-> Artillery Forum