Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 pm
    ----
Hi everyone!

The fates smiled upon us again and this time we were treated to a backstage tour at Ft Sill to see the latest acquisitions for the US Army Field Artillery Museum. The ever gracious curator, Gordon Blaker, took time out from a hectic day to take us to various locations around the base to see the new stuff. We photographed what we could and have put together a gallery located here:

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...722_3pwGvH

We did get to see the following items, but were asked not to take photos, as they are awaiting restoration:

French M1918 194mm Self-Propelled Gun
US T-92 240mm GMC King Kong
German SdKfz 142/2 10.5cm Sturmhaubitze (StuH 42)
US M7 105mm HMC early model

Photos of:
German Heuschrecke 10.5cm leFH 18/1 L28 Grasshopper
Soviet M1931 203mm Tracked Howitzer, captured and used by the Germans
will be forthcoming in the soon-to-exist under-construction gallery of additions to the outside displays at the Artillery Museum.

Gallery teasers of:
US T-97 155mm Self-Propelled Gun
German SdKfz 166 Brummbar
Italian M90/53 90mm Semovente
German SdKfz 138/1 Ausf M, 15cm SP Grille
German Hummel

Last edited by vagabond on Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gal Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm
    ----
Ok, couldn’t resist that!! Laughing

LOL!!!

Here’s the real one:

#3: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm
    ----
Great photos and great news. Thanks for both.
Once again, it's clear that for those artifacts that moved from APG to Ft Sill the move was a very positive one. I am afraid so far we can't say the same about the ones that end up elsewhere.

Massimo

#4: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:27 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I am afraid so far we can't say the same about the ones that end up elsewhere

I think that it's just a matter of time..

P-O

#5: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gal Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 pm
    ----
Great photos! Thanks for sharing Vagabonds'. I was at Aberdeen today and after seeing the former APG "clean ups" very impressed! What I saw today at Aberdeen wasn't all the best stuff. The Museum no longer has an "opening in 2013" banner, grass needs cut (thanks sequester) and I'm being nice by saying nothing more. Rick

#6: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

I think that it's just a matter of time..

Okay, let's try to stay positive. By the time they will re-order things properly, we will be finally able to arrange a group visit of the major USA AFVs collections for us "European" guys. Please start saving now Laughing

Massimo

#7: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm
    ----
As usual great photo's !
Thanks for sharing ,and looking forward to the Stuh 42

Walter

#8: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 am
    ----
I'm glad to see some of my Aberdeen orphans have found a good home

#9: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 am
    ----
As Walter already mentioned, great pictures as usual.
Just a small remark: the M4 High speed tractor is in fact a M5A1 High speed tractor. Its build on the running gear of a M3 Stuart, the M4 uses the running gear of the M2.

Michel

#10: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 am
    ----
- Tichenor
". . . The M4 [HST] uses the running gear of the M2 [medium tank]."

This is a common misconception. The M2 medium used a vertical spring suspension similar to that on the M3 and early M4 medium tanks:

upload.wikimedia.org/w...081tph.jpg

The M4 HST used a horizontal spring suspension that was designed by Allis-Chalmers:

upload.wikimedia.org/w...haosef.jpg

KL

#11: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gal Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:37 am
    ----
they are really doing miracles in this museum !! and as usual, these are very nice photos. Thanks Paul and Loren !!

P-O

#12: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 pm
    ----
Thanks Michel for the correction and Kurt for the links - I've corrected the gallery.

Thanks to all for your kind words!

P-O, The museum IS doing terrific work! Gordon and his staff really care about the history and the artifacts and do their absolute best to steward the collection. I'll make sure to let them know how much you all appreciate their efforts.

We are at work on a gallery of the other new displays at the Field Artillery Museum - so stay tuned!

Cheers,
The VBs

#13: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gal Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:01 pm
    ----

photo courtesy of James Joseph Pavelka, retired US Army Armor
Officer.

P-O

#14: Re: Ft Sill Museum New Vehicles - Backstage 4/13 - Photo Gal Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:20 pm
    ----
The St Chamond SPG is looking good, or rather it will when it gets a coat of paint to cover the rust inhibitor.

Pity Fort Sill didn't get the Holt 75mm Mark VI SPG that was at APG - would make a nice partner piece to the Mark X.

Regards,

Charlie

-> AFV News Discussion Board