Another one bites the dust.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#16: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 pm
    ----
Helluva nice job your doing there, Richard....especially keeping on budget, that's tough.

Many years ago I had to pull the gas tank out of my '66 Mustang to get some rust repair done (tracing a smell of gas, I found I had some holes in the top from corrosion), and this was like a trip down memory lane.

Just the thought of handling a large metal container with gas in it, and the possibility of setting it own too roughly and making a spark, had me on edge.

#17: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Helluva nice job your doing there, Richard....especially keeping on budget, that's tough.

Many years ago I had to pull the gas tank out of my '66 Mustang to get some rust repair done (tracing a smell of gas, I found I had some holes in the top from corrosion), and this was like a trip down memory lane.

Just the thought of handling a large metal container with gas in it, and the possibility of setting it own too roughly and making a spark, had me on edge.

I imagine when it comes to tank placement, the '66 Stang and my Cougar are very similiar.

Was able to get the Power booster and master cylinder today after a lot of checking around and get them both for about $100 less than I was expecting which helps the bottom line. $300 left in the budget which should be more than enough for the remaining parts. Might even have enough left over to get that Repro parking brake handle and window washer resevoir.

#18: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 am
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

I imagine when it comes to tank placement, the '66 Stang and my Cougar are very similiar.

Was able to get the Power booster and master cylinder today after a lot of checking around and get them both for about $100 less than I was expecting which helps the bottom line. $300 left in the budget which should be more than enough for the remaining parts. Might even have enough left over to get that Repro parking brake handle and window washer resevoir.

Yep, to say nothing of the mid-'60's Falcon, from which the Moostang and Coogar both directly evolved. Tank placement pre-dated the Pinto, and rear-end collisions are similarly inadvisable.

Original restoration is the way to go, but if I were building a period 'Stang or Cougar to flog, a fuel cell would be the way to go. Wink

#19: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 am
    ----
Ok, New fuel tank, fuel pump, sending unit & fuel line are in. Fires right up again.

Now the brakes. Since I've changed a power booster and master cylinder before (20 years ago) I knew it wasn't gonna be pretty but forgot how truly awful it is, especially the under the dash part but both are out. Being contorted into all kinds of un-natural positions on the floorboard of a classic was no big deal when I was 25, now that i'm 44...it hurts. Rolling Eyes

While trying to remove the distribution block & proportioning valve I stripped the nuts for the 2 lines I had to remove to get it out. Got tired of messing with it and cut the lines with a hacksaw. These things have obviously never been removed because they wouldn't budge. This now means all new steel brake lines in the front and front to rear line. There goes the budget. Laughing

Removed all the rear drum hardware, axles & seals today. Will get the new bearings pressed on the axles tomorrow and should have in the new seals and all new rear drum brakes.

#20: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 pm
    ----
As you're goin' in that deep, have you considered just stripping out what you can and having everything blasted that you have access to?

#21: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
As you're goin' in that deep, have you considered just stripping out what you can and having everything blasted that you have access to?

Blasted? You talking about the engine compartment?

#22: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
- JG300-Ascout

Blasted? You talking about the engine compartment?

Yep. at least at a minmum.

#23: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 am
    ----
I will be power washing the engine compartment. Most of what's seen on top is dust. It's really oily underneath but that will be washed also. Fixed my power steering leak (had to remove to get to the fuel pump). Have a new oil pan gasket and trans pan gasket. Both of those will be replaced when I get the brakes and rear axles done.

Here's some pics of the distribution block & proportioning valve. The pistons on both were completely stuck and had to be hammered out with a punch. Used steel wool to polish the pistons up and installed new gasket from a rebuild kit. You'll note the 2 cut brake lines on the bottom of the distribution block.

#24: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm
    ----
So I took the Cougar out for a test drive today, first time in 13 years. Was strange staring out over that long hood again on the road. Brake system is done and will need some small tweeks otherwise it works better than it ever has. Of course the drive highlighted the need to tweek the carb. Think it is running lean and will get the Edelbrock kit to adjust accordingly.

At least I can now drive it and over time take care of the other things as money permits

Not braggin or anything but did get on it in the straight away and got going so fast even the Vinyl top couldn't hold on Laughing

#25: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat

Not braggin or anything but did get on it in the straight away and got going so fast even the Vinyl top couldn't hold on Laughing

"Speed blasting". So much more fun than sandblasting, and so good for you! Twisted Evil

#26: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 pm
    ----
Awesome!!!! Congrats on getting her on the road again, Richard!

#27: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:26 am
    ----
Everything that has been done so far. Some of the smaller interior items I went ahead and ordered with the brake line kit and gas tank stuff from West Coast Classic Cougars. They were always little things that bugged me and together didn't cost much in the scheme of things. Those items and replacing all the steel brake lines put me about $300 over budget.

power brake booster
Master cylinder
Brake pedal bushings
Brake proportioning valve & dist block rebuild kit
Brake drums x 2
Brake drum cylinders x 2
Brake shoes x 2
brake shoe hardware kit
backing plate gasket x 2
drum self adjusting kit x 2
rear brake hose
brake hose locks
Brake line (front to rear)
Front Power Brake DISC 6 brake Line Set
rear brake lines
wheel Seals x 2
wheel bearings x 2
bearing retainer plate gasket x 2
transmission pan gasket
oil pan gasket
transmission filter
Fuel tank sending unit
Fuel tank
Fuel tank filler neck gasket
Fuel filler neck to tank hose
Fuel pump
Gear oil
machine shop $70
Windshield Washer Foot Pedal Pump Pad
Brake Pedal Pad Trim
Sun Visor - Tips
Switch - Courtesy Light - Door Jamb
XR7 Toggle Switch Tips (SET OF 4)
Disc Brake Pedal Pad
Headlight Dimmer Switch Rubber Cover
parking brake handle
windshield washer resevoir

#28: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:00 am
    ----
It's only a matter of time and money. Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLAUEgwhreA

#29: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:16 am
    ----
Methinks there is a tad bit more to the story on that Cougar than just "small-block Ford power".

But your car is much closer to the 11's now than it's been in 12 years and that's cause enough for celebration!

#30: Re: Another one bites the dust. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Methinks there is a tad bit more to the story on that Cougar than just "small-block Ford power".

But your car is much closer to the 11's now than it's been in 12 years and that's cause enough for celebration!

What Stoopy said!

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum