Old Photos.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Old Photos. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 pm
    ----
Here's 3 photos from Aberdeen in 1945.

#2: Re: Old Photos. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm
    ----
What the heck is the first one? That's a really odd layout for a wheeled vehicle, unless the Tyrell P34 F1 cars count.

#3: Re: Old Photos. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 pm
    ----
Doug, It was an Armored car used for testing the V1 and V2 rockets out. I always liked the "oddball" vehicles, lol! I'm pretty sure it's based on the 8x8 Armored Cars of WW 2. Here's a few more old photos. Rick

#4: Re: Old Photos. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:37 pm
    ----
Thx. And great stuff, Rick. Thx for posting!

#5: Re: Old Photos. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:05 am
    ----
Your welcome Doug, here's a few more. Rick

#6: Re: Old Photos. Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:51 am
    ----
Hi Rick

Fantastic pics ! especialy the Famo with 10 ton crane !

Walter

#7: Re: Old Photos. Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 am
    ----
Hi Walter,
These photos are old Aberdeen views of captured equipment prior to it being destroyed in the 1950s "scrap drive" or sent to Ft. Benning (like Tiger #712) or Ft. Sill, OK. I found them in the Col. Jarrett Collection in Carlisle, PA MHI in the 1980s. Glad You like the Famo with Crane! Rick

#8: Re: Old Photos. Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:19 pm
    ----
Excellent pics, thanks for sharing!

Chris

#9: Re: Old Photos. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 pm
    ----
It always grieves me to see the number of these artefacts that have been lost due to the lack of foresight and interest in those bodies who were supposed to have preserved them!

#10: Re: Old Photos. Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
It always grieves me to see the number of these artefacts that have been lost due to the lack of foresight and interest in those bodies who were supposed to have preserved them!

To be fair, their mission wasn't to preserve anything. They only maintained a collection for the purpose of instructing Ordnance personnel on weapon designs. If there wasn't an immediate tie-in to that instruction program, it was superfluous. It was only in the 1960s I think that the idea of keeping a museum came about.

KL

#11: Re: Old Photos. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 am
    ----
My comments apply not solely to the Aberdeen collection. Many items of aeronautica, that were cited for preservation as museum pieces, were scrapped during the Korean War, many it seems as their storage areas were put back into use for manufacture.

-> AFV News Discussion Board