12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 pm
    ----
Hello All,

We’ve added a gallery of photos from the 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum in Abilene, TX.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...702_G8ktQr

I can't seem to get this site to load the photo links correctly - here's the one that does SORT-OF function. Click on the gallery link to get to the gallery - the photo link takes you elsewhere. Weird. Don't know if it is com central or smugmug or both. Sad

#2: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 am
    ----
Photo #63 is very interesting. I have never seen an M7 with this kind of add-on to the hull. I wonder what it is... Stowage pan, blast shield...

#3: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm
    ----
Yeah Costas, I was wondering about that. I included it in the gallery for the very reason of asking about it. Of. course, I promptly forgot to do so - thanks for the reminder! LOL!

In the museum display, in which that photo was included, there were MANY other photos of M7s with crews that showed the same attachment - even a drawing (I'll post it later). All from the 495th Armored Field Artillery Battalion.

#4: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm
    ----
Nice pictures Paul
Thanks for showing !
Specialy like the US Halftrack and the black & white picture of the RSO.

Walter

#5: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 pm
    ----
Added to the gallery: two more crew photos with M7s with unusual attachment to the front end and a photo of this drawing:

#6: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 pm
    ----
- vagabond
Yeah Costas, I was wondering about that. I included it in the gallery for the very reason of asking about it. Of. course, I promptly forgot to do so - thanks for the reminder! LOL!

In the museum display, in which that photo was included, there were MANY other photos of M7s with crews that showed the same attachment - even a drawing (I'll post it later). All from the 495th Armored Field Artillery Battalion.

I think I have the answer: It's to increase exterior stowage. The drawing of it you posted, the one with the tarp/air IFF panel was a hint. I looked in the 12th's website photo page, where there is a photo album dedicated to the 495th and sure enough the pan appears to have stuff in it. To top it off, if you look closely, the M7s featuring the pan have also been fitted with wire baskets on top of the rear roof stowage bins, plus another large wooden box on the extreme rear of the hull roof. Given the stowage modifications to their halftracks, it looks like the unit went for more but neat.

#7: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 pm
    ----
I wonder if the shape was also to reduce water and mud coming up the sloping front hull

#8: Re: 12th Armored Division Museum Photo Gallery Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 am
    ----
Well, it does remind me of the open bin seen on many M113s with German-style mods...

-> AFV News Discussion Board