'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...??
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: foofymonster PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:04 pm
    ----
This tank IS NOT the "FURY" from the Fury movie,

That was the 76mm M4A2 HVSS from the Bovington tank museum.

The tank pictured above was on the set but in plain olive drab as a static vehicle only. It was only used in the Battalion scenes

It has been made to look like the Bovingdon M4A2 FURY since I last saw it on the set.

I played a tank commander in 2nd Platoon so have first hand experience.

The 5 main tanks were
1) M4A2 76MM HVSS From Bovington
2) M4A2 75mm VVSS from Tey Restorations
3) M4A2 76mm HVSS from Jeep Sud Est
4) M4A4 75mm VVSS from Adrian Barrall
5) M4A1 76mm VVSS from Barrett Homes

#32: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 am
    ----
the tank from Jeep Sud Est is a former M4(105) with a 76mm turret instead of the 105mm one Wink

thanks for the information about the owners and the tanks that participated to the film.

Pierre-Olivier

#33: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 pm
    ----
Good "review"

Fury: Finally, a Real Tanker Movie?

#34: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm
    ----
Is there actually a book that Kelly's Heroes is based on? I've never heard that before, and I'm interested!

Chuck

#35: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 pm
    ----
If Mr. Pitt deals with the broken track, he will not be the first Hollywood type to do so. In GI Blues, Elvis Presley (who played the gunner on an M47 in the film) had to help with a track thrown when hitting a tree stump.

I don't think that he got brained by an end connector or anything like that.

But, the most amazing thing about Elvis' military service is that he managed to make it all the way to Staff sergeant E-6 during the course of a two year draft commitment. Now, I've know of a two year E-6, but he was an exceptional case, one of those guys who graduated Basic at the top of the company, and at the top of AIT in a similar fashion, ending up after their initial six months at E-4. But, I doubt that an overweight Elvis fell into that category.

#36: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:34 am
    ----
Elvis crewed a M48A1 in G.I. Blues and in real life. He was hardly over wieght at that time. Doubt he rated E-6 after just 2 years, but from what I've read he was a pretty good tanker and got in to it. The movie was shot while he was still in 3AD but not released till after he got out. Most of the extras were guys from his unit.

#37: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:16 am
    ----
The photos of him returning from his overseas duty that I've seen clearly show the three stripes and a rocker of an E-6. And, he was a bit beefy at that time as well.

I seem to remember the narrow turret and side armor of a M47, but I've only seen the film once (my lovely wife is an Elvis fan), so my memory mau be fao;omg me here.

But, he did have to deal with a broken track..

#38: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:23 pm
    ----
Hi All,

Mrs VB and I went to see the film this afternoon and were deeply moved by it. It was completely engrossing and fully absorbing. IMHO a truly great film. We were speechless and sat in the theatre through the credits and long after. Very powerful and amazingly well done.
Our thanks to and a huge Hats off to all involved!

VB

#39: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 am
    ----
- vagabond
Hi All,

Mrs VB and I went to see the film this afternoon and were deeply moved by it. It was completely engrossing and fully absorbing. IMHO a truly great film. We were speechless and sat in the theatre through the credits and long after. Very powerful and amazingly well done.
Our thanks to and a huge Hats off to all involved!

VB

The Dougster went to a theater today ( a rare, 5 year event ) to catch it. Well worth the price of admission and no home theater system is likely to reproduce it, unless one is stinking rich. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the product.

Intense, do NOT take the kids.

#40: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 pm
    ----
agree with Doug and Paul & Lorén.. don't take the kids with you..

P-O

#41: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 pm
    ----
I have a question : I had the impression during the film that the 76mm Sherman interior was roomier than usual. I had the impression that the crew was able to do more things and more easily than me when I climb into a Sherman tank. What do you think? Was the interior slightly super-sized in order for the actors to move more easily?

P-O

#42: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm
    ----
the many of interior shots were in an enlarged set created to allow camera use

#43: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 pm
    ----
- piney
the many of interior shots were in an enlarged set created to allow camera use

Yep, and entirely understandable. You don't film a multimillion main feature film with a GoPro and ambient lighting. I've seen some vehement "objections" to this departure from reality, but frankly regard those as silly. Any tanker can tell you why this concession to cinema is necessary (unless you think "fisheye" is going to look acceptable on the big screen). Laughing

#44: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 pm
    ----
I have a question, is it realistic in the film to see 4 Shermans assaulting a German defensive position with the tank commanders having the head and bustle outside? I would have thought they would lead the assault with the tanks buttoned up...

P-O

#45: Re: 'Fury'....whose tanks are they using...?? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:32 pm
    ----
If there's smallp-arms fire, then no.

-> AFV News Discussion Board