Laptop hesitation?
-> Hardware

#1: Laptop hesitation? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm
    ----
My Hp G72 laptop which is a couple years old, running Windows 7 64 bit, 4 gigs of ram, now has developed a problem I have never seen. It hesitates about 2 to 5 seconds on any task you do. For instance in typing this message I will start typing and will have typed 3 to 4 words(one finger typing ) before they ever show up in the box. You click on anything and again 2 to 5 seconds before the puter will place the cursor or open a page... very frustrating. I have cecked services and nothing running out of the oridanary, cpu usage at normal around 30% But ram usage is around 72%. I can not found out why it is so high. The largest usage of ram is by Firefox(1,140,000 average) but the computer does this even when Firefox is not running. Wondering if I have bad stick of ram and if so how to check it in a laptop? As I am sitting here I keep getting that little blue circle turning every now and again showing the puter is busy. Also if I try to rush this thing I get a lot "Not responding" messages that will last for a couple seconds. Trying to scroll down a page weather it is on the net or in MS office or any page of any kind takes 2 to 5 seconds weather using the mouse or keypad. It is something blocking up the signal between the "to do and get it done parts"...lol I really have a lot of programs on here that I would hate to lose if formatting is required so other options if possible would be greatly appreciated. THNX!

#2: Re: Laptop hesitation? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:06 pm
    ----
Can u remember if this started after you installed anything recently?
If so, a recovery might fix it.

I have to say I've noticed this recently on three computers I use.
All have different functions and different installs.

I can be typing and suddenly realise only the first part of what I've typed has appeared on screen.
Sometimes the screen will catch up, sometimes not and I have to find the part where it dropped and make corrections.

Very frustrating.
No idea what's doing it.
If I was using anything close to similar on them I'd have automatically suspected some kind of malware.

#3: Re: Laptop hesitation? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 pm
    ----
Nothing new installed but updates to Windows and other various softwares.. No way can I remember(old age..lol) exactly when this started and I am sure that a lot of updates have installed lately.

#4: Re: Laptop hesitation? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 am
    ----
I'm not sure it isn't something like that Homey.
Purely because I'm getting the same thing on all the systems I use.
It's like they have a seizure for a couple of seconds.
Some are under my administration, some are under others.
I also have colleagues complaining of the same thing.
Doesn't happen all the time and is not particularly frequent.

#5: Re: Laptop hesitation? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 pm
    ----
As a rule, it's something to do with CPU duty cycles. In other words, it's being put under stress by various programs that want priority to run.

Generally, you can do this and it will help...

Start/Run/MSCONFIG enter.

Disable on items on the startup menu and reboot. If it works better, enable your Anti-virus and let 'er rip.

If not, for a Windows machine, it's time to reformat and reinstall the OS. Over time, a Windows OS gets clogged with bits and pieces of left over programs and data.

If you do decide to reformat, make sure you back up: Pictures, favorites, documents and all machine drivers. Also don't forget to back up any game files and/or data from programs you use.

Good luck... Smile

#6: Re: Laptop hesitation? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 pm
    ----
OHHHHH NOOOOOOO the "R" word Sad . I believe I will put up with it a while longer...lol. hmmm no laughing matter dangit.

-> Hardware