Hollywood Artillery Piece ID
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 am
    ----
Hi Guys,

Found this Japanese Artillery piece at an AL Post in Hollywood. Can someone please ID it for me? I’ll post the gallery after it’s ID’d - Thanks!

#2: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:02 pm
    ----
I think it's the barrel of a 15cm Type 4 howitzer on its barrel transport
vehicle. The Type 4 was moved in two pieces, the barrel on a separate vehicle and the carriage. Pity you didn't get an image of the breech markings - it's fairly easy to translate the Japanese Kanji markings.

Regards,

Charlie

#3: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:07 pm
    ----
CharlieC -

Yes, I did get the Kanji markings on the barrel. Photographed breech as well, but didn't see anything there.

I'll post the rest of the photos once it's ID'd.

Translate away!

Thanks!

#4: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:33 am
    ----
I see "three" (I think) "ten" and "five" in there, more or less in the center (or just to the right of), reading from right to left. At bottom is what is believe is "ten" and "one" R-L. My command of characters is not what it used to be (coming from mostly reading currency, etc.). Rolling Eyes

My kanji book did not make my cross country move.

Seems odd not to see a chrysanthemum. Or however you spell that.

#5: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm
    ----
Charlie is correct

#6: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:19 pm
    ----
Thanks for the help, everyone!

I've made a separate post for the completed gallery of photos.

#7: Re: Hollywood Artillery Piece ID Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:55 pm
    ----
I wrote an article on Kanji markings at:
landships.info/landshi...kings.html

Here's my take on the markings - Kanji from this period reads right to left:

Top line

(howitzer) (cm) 5 10 (3) (type) 4 - Type 4 15cm howitzer - I don't know
what the additional character "3" means

Centre line

Mostly obscured but the rightmost 2 characters read "Osaka" - so it's probably the Osaka Arsenal

Bottom line

(Manufactured)(Year) 1 10 (obscured) - probably "Built Taisho 11" = 1922

Regards,

Charlie

-> Artillery Forum