Unknown arty piece - ID help needed
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Unknown arty piece - ID help needed Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:13 am
    ----
While out and about gathering photos for the warmemorials.us website, I ran across this artillery piece I can not identify. The piece is located in Clintonville, WI.

One of the guys who was helping me document the memorials had it listed as a Type 38, but it does not look like a Type 38 to me. What say you?

EDIT: All photos moved to warmemorials.us/artill...ville.html

If you right click -> View Image you can see it bigger.

~Robert

Last edited by dogtags on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Unknown arty piece - ID help needed Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:56 pm
    ----
Japanese 75mm TYPE 38 (1905) BOX TRAIL do you happen to have a street location for that?

Found it on Google earth thanks for posting 44° 37.389'N 88° 45.718'W

#3: Re: Unknown arty piece - ID help needed Author: CharlieC PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm
    ----
It's a very average reconstruction of a 7.5cm Type 38. Here's one at Modesto, CA which is pretty original.

I can just about about make some Kanji on the breech ring but can't read it - the carriage plate seems to be missing.

Regards,

Charlie

#4: Re: Unknown arty piece - ID help needed Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:58 am
    ----
Thanks guys! What threw me off the most was the armor shield is different. The breech opening mechanism seems to be a bit different from some of the other examples we have in WI. I also didn't see any Kanji characters and didn't think the paint was heavy enough to obscure them.

As for the coordinates, you are close enough. Good scouting!

~Robert

-> Artillery Forum