Weird tank in Armada Michigan
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 am
    ----
I took some pictures of an M48 hull with an XM66 prototype turret in Armada MI today. If anyone wants to see them, they are here.

#2: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 am
    ----
The air cleaner boxes would suggest a dieselized tank (A3 & A5), but only three instead of five return rollers? Interesting combo - M48A1E1?

#3: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm
    ----
- Costas_TT
The air cleaner boxes would suggest a dieselized tank (A3 & A5), but only three instead of five return rollers? Interesting combo - M48A1E1?

That would make sense to me. I looked the M48A1E1 in Hunnicutt's book "Patton." This hull seems to fit the description.

#4: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:47 am
    ----
Walter, Nice photos! I had seen photos of this tank years ago, Your shots are much better. Rick

#5: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
Walter, Nice photos! I had seen photos of this tank years ago, Your shots are much better. Rick

Glad you liked them Rick. It was a bit of a drive to get to this tank so I am glad someone found the pictures interesting. This is certainly one of the stranger tanks on display in Michigan that I have found so far.

#6: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 am
    ----
Its one of the late T95 prototype spin off variants...

#7: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: Walter_Sobchak PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:07 am
    ----
Good catch. I found some pictures of the T95E8 in Hunnicutt's "Abrams" book.

#8: Re: Weird tank in Armada Michigan Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm
    ----
Next time you are over on this side of the state, you should stop by our museum!
We don't have a tank (yet) but we do have some tank related stuff!

-> AFV News Discussion Board