160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon..
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 am
    ----
then all the German WW2 stuff will be displayed in the East Coast area (Fort Lee, Fort Benning, Massachussetts..)

P-O

#17: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 am
    ----
At least, one day, when things will settle down, it may be easier for us to plan a tour Smile

Massimo

#18: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm
    ----
Like some of the others, I thought Mr. Littlefield had left the Foundation set up to run for a long time. I know it takes a passion to keep a collection like this together and maintained, but I thought there was astaff provided for that. Most unfortunate!

Even more frustrating is that when my wife and I were in that end of California this past September I wanted to go see the MVTF, but decided to wait as I didn't think I would have time to do it justice. Double drat!

I seems a darn shame - first the fine collection from Ft. Knox that included many restored vehicles and rarities get sent to Georgia to rust in the rain, then the MVTF is to be broken up.

Wish I had won the lottery Smile

#19: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:30 pm
    ----
To be expected,

Sad to say, but the collection was just too big for a private collector to keep together, especially after death. Strictly speculation but human nature being what it is, unless a successor as passionate about AFV's as Mr. Littlefield was named with caveats legally binding that person(s) to maintain it along with a bulletproof trust to fund it, there was no way it was going to stay together. See it with art, autos, and even things as mundane as Barbie or Hotwheels. The bigger the collection, the harder to keep together, even harder to get someone to keep it whole. Mr. Littlefield provided to the public a view of Armor at one location for a moment in time many could not, to include our own Government. For that the AFV community will always be thankful. Nothing is forever. No doubt there are collecters out there salivating at the opportunity to acquire that one piece unattainable elsewhere, which is good for it's survival. I just worry that some will cloister away these AFV's strictly for personal use, never to be seen in public again except on rare occasions. I also worry about those in his collection that are less popular/ rare, or had not been restored. The worst being a vehicle with all three attributes. I think of that poor M60 that sat in the back lot without the gun or cradle.

On that note, will there be a list constructed and more importantly, will it be released to the public as to where all these ended up and to who? This wouldn't be so painful if the Army's collections weren't so scattered all over the country and mostly cloistered away. Horrible times for AFV fans in the US right now.

#20: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
At least, one day, when things will settle down, it may be easier for us to plan a tour Smile

Massimo

I'll do what's necessary to do a tour in the USA with some European guys of this forum, if there is ever a chance that it becomes true !!

P-O

#21: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
I'll do what's necessary to do a tour in the USA with some European guys of this forum, if there is ever a chance that it becomes true !!

Even if we had that opportunity, it doesn't seems to be the right time.

If I have to choose a location for an ambitious tour, right now I would pick Russia, with Kubinka and the other interesting places in and around Moskow.

Massimo

#22: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 pm
    ----
same for me. You never know what will happen in the future, and we could regret not to have visited these museums earlier. Moreover, I need some of their Shermans serials !!

P-O

#23: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- the_shadock

Even if we had that opportunity, it doesn't seems to be the right time.

If I have to choose a location for an ambitious tour, right now I would pick Russia, with Kubinka and the other interesting places in and around Moskow.

Massimo

It would be great to have you guys here, and if it was on the east coast, I'd do everything I could to join you (or host you, but there's not much in my neighborhood). That said, Massimo may well have a point about it not being the best time....so much is in flux, storage, or otherwise on the move. Some of the most desirable exhibits may not exist again for years (if ever). There is a lesson here...about not putting off proposed visits to a "later date"....sometimes, those opportunities disappear forever. I'm thankful for having done my "tours" here in "prime time", which seems to over for the moment. If there's something solid existing over there, NOW, I'd recommend you take advantage of it and cross your fingers for the future.

#24: Re: 160 of the MVTF vehicles to be auctioned soon.. Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 am
    ----
- Joe_D

On that note, will there be a list constructed and more importantly, will it be released to the public as to where all these ended up and to who?

Don't count on it. But, I'll do everything I can to find out who is getting what or what is going where.

This is really going to screw up the U.S. version of the AFV Register. Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board