Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 am
    ----
After all the changes around the bases, does Ft Hood still have a active TD Museum?

I went to the webpage, and all they list is 1st Cavalry museum and 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. No TD.......

Thanks

#2: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:54 pm
    ----
Oh, come on now......

Nobody knows if the TD museum is still there?...... Smile

#3: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 pm
    ----
The 3rd ACR took over the old 4th ID Museum. Not sure, but was the 4th ID Museum the old Tank Destroyer Museum?

#4: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:13 am
    ----
SFC Button would be our best source on this, but he is understandably occupied with more pressing matters for the time being.

#5: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:49 pm
    ----
I've never known of a Tank Destroyer Museum at Ft Hood. The old 2AD Museum was taken over and became the 4th ID Museum.

'Informed Sources' mentioned that much of the 2AD museum's Micro & Macro artifacts have been held in storage at Ft Hood, separate from the 4th ID / 3rd ACR Museum.

Of course, the 1st CAV Museum is thriving....

But I still no info on a TD Museum....

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 am
    ----
My best friend's Dad was in 701td, Bronze Star winner, and was at the Battle of Kasserine Pass. He trained at Camp Hood. My buddy said they used to have a TD museum there. Said he had been to it, but he could be wrong.

I am surprised that there is no TD museum listed in America that I can find....

#7: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 am
    ----
- tankdriver
My best friend's Dad was in 701td, Bronze Star winner, and was at the Battle of Kasserine Pass. He trained at Camp Hood. My buddy said they used to have a TD museum there. Said he had been to it, but he could be wrong.

Can you tell us his last name? I ask because there was a Kasserine survivor that worked as a civilian consultant at the Armor Board when I was there. He had some outrageous General Schedule ("GS") number (field grade or general officer level) and nobody of any rank ever referred to him as anything other than "Mister" (with some reverence). I think I recall it, but wonder who your friends' dad was...

#8: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am
    ----
Although perhaps not an official TD museum, the stated aim of the Danbury museum is to 'maintain the memory of American Tank Destroyer units of the Second World War', hence their push to aquire both an M18 and an M36.

#9: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: tankdriverLocation: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- tankdriver

Can you tell us his last name? I ask because there was a Kasserine survivor that worked as a civilian consultant at the Armor Board when I was there. He had some outrageous General Schedule ("GS") number (field grade or general officer level) and nobody of any rank ever referred to him as anything other than "Mister" (with some reverence). I think I recall it, but wonder who your friends' dad was...

Was not him. after the war, he returned to Memphis and opened a Italian Restaurant. His name was Dino Grisianti, which was weird. Cause 1 generation out and they sent him to middle east, and Sicily, and up through Italy. Usually they would not send them to home country..... He was wounded, then went to Europe.

#10: Re: Tank Destroyer Museum at Fort Hood Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:44 pm
    ----
- tankdriver
- Doug_Kibbey
- tankdriver

Was not him. after the war, he returned to Memphis and opened a Italian Restaurant. His name was Dino Grisianti, which was weird. Cause 1 generation out and they sent him to middle east, and Sicily, and up through Italy. Usually they would not send them to home country..... He was wounded, then went to Europe.

Interesting. Maybe he had language skills that made him useful there.

-> AFV News Discussion Board